Wednesday, October 13

Middle eastern feast #2 - Easy peasy lebanese-y hoummus


Out of all the dips available to my kids - this is only one of two they will touch, and this one is Eloise's favourite.  I think this might be because I used to make a chickpea cauliflower curry for her when she was on first foods and she adored that too.  Good taste my girl.

Anyhoo...  I serve this in lunchboxes with carrot and celery sticks.  Sometimes I'll sprinkle sultanas on top (I know that sounds wrong but Eloise likes it!)

For us adults I serve it with homemade Turkish bread or corn chips, usually with a salsa too.  Or I'll put it in pocket bread with lamb and some tabbouleh.  Sometimes I just eat it off the spoon, but don't tell anyone, ok?

How do you eat your hoummus?


Ingredients:
400g tin chickpeas, drained
2 tb tahini (sesame seed paste, you can get it from the healthfood section or shop)
2 cloves garlic
2 tb lemon juice
2 tb olive oil


Method:
Chuck everything in the food processor (love my new Braun Multiquick 7 cordless seriously!)  and process until creamy - add a little water if it's too thick.


If serving to adults you can garnish with a bit of olive oil and paprika!

Cost:  about $1.50!  Easy peasy lebanese-y.

Do you buy or make your hoummus?  A bit of both perhaps?
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Belinda on October 13, 2010 at 5:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Making tomorrow. X
Kidlets will love it - delish

Teachermum on October 13, 2010 at 8:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Absolutely delicious! We polished off a whole bowl full today!

Nat Kringoudis Melbourne on October 13, 2010 at 10:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

snap! I eat it just like you. or with carrot sticks, lavosh biscuits, even on delish toast! I love. I will try out this recipe too!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on October 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love hommous too! And in a funny coincidence, I almost bought bowls just like that the other day! :P

Sally said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is one of my fussy 2yo's faveourite foods - we usually have it with carrot sticks or crackers. I must admit I've been buying it, but this looks so easy and is cheaper too! Thanks!

Corrie on October 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yummo, yep love hommos and that's how I make mine - I also love it with lemon infused olive oil! sooooo good! loving my braun too!

Corrie:)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015