Tuesday, May 5

If you were me, would you consider....


A tummy tuck?

I've had my share of abdominal surgery, appendix, two caesareans, and an emergency hysterectomy with lateral incision - my stomach honestly is a freaking mess. A roadmap of scars. Totally overstretched from being 157cms tall and carrying fraternal twins (that's two sacs and two placentas folks) to 37wks and 4 days....

I'm on a 2 year health-kick. I don't want to call it a diet because I'm changing my health - my weight being one of those things but my lifestyle really needs a change... So by my 40th birthday which is just over 2 years away I'm going to be healthier, thinner me.

But what about this excess skin? Even with this huge amount of excess weight it is saggy. It's seriously going to be down to my knees.. so I've been giving some real thought to abdominoplasty. I might even qualify for medicare subsidy I think. It's around the $12,000 mark which we certainly don't have!

Am I crazy? I don't think it's going to put me a bikini, but it might give me some hope of wearing anything but support knickers for the rest of my natural life.... It's a 6 week recovery... my girls would be at school by that point.. hmmm

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Katy on May 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Most definitely! In fact it's something that I'm considering once I get to my goal weight, and keep it there for a year or two. With my 3 kids, and despite losing almost 25kg, it's barely budged!

Kat on May 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You are definitely not crazy, you need to think about these things, I'm always amused with TBL knowing that such a rapid weight loss for most especially the older ones is going to result in a lot of excess skin, something that they probably didn't think about when they first joined the show.

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on May 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

How do you get the Medicare subsidy?

I would definitely consider it, and will hopefully do it myself when I am finished having a family.

Liss on May 5, 2009 at 6:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think I could qualify for the medicare subsidy as I have severed muscles (i.e. in half) as it quotes on one site "These include defects of the abdominal wall, such as hernias, diastasis (separation of the muscles), or trauma resulting in muscle loss, weakness, or painful scar contracture. In addition, a large abdominal panniculus, frequently seen after massive weight loss, is removed for purely functional reasons, and therefore should be a covered expense."
I pretty much have all of that apart painful scar and hernia...

Shell on May 5, 2009 at 11:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You know I think it would be great! Just think when you have lost the weight and are your healthier you, you will want to feel the part too. A tummy tuck would be part of that IMO.
And Medicare would definitely help that decision I think.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015