Thursday, March 31

Video Tutorial: How to make creme caramels!


Hello friends!  Well today you are invited into my kitchen in a whole new way.  By video.  You get to hear me say 'so, ok' about eleventy billion times.  If you are one of my overseas visitors (hello!) you get to hear my Aussie accent and all of you get to see how shocking I look without make-up..!  But, I'm not the star here, it's the food right?

And today's star is the creme caramel.  with only five real ingredients it's not so hard but I think something that people are worried they may not be able to pull off. Toffee in particular scares people I've been told.  So to show you how utterly achievable and fabulous these are I decided to do our first video tutorial!  I hope you love it!




I want to dedicate the video to a dear friend whose mother has recently passed away - she was a lover of all things French - my thoughts and love are with you. xxx

Ingredients:
Caramel
2/3 cup caster sugar
water to cover

Custard (Creme)
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
2/3 cup caster sugar
4 eggs

Equipment:
6 small or 5 large ramekins, greased with canola spray
1 large baking dish
1 small saucepan, 1 medium saucepan
1 mixing bowl
1 whisk
1 ladle

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 150 degrees c
  • Spray some canola oil in 5 large-ish ramekins or 6 medium ramekins (you could make one large one if you like too!)
  • Add 2/3 cup caster sugar to a saucepan with just enough water to cover and put on to boil on the stove.  Do not stir, but shake the saucepan to keep it mixing until it starts to form a golden brown colour, remove from heat immediately and pour into your moulds.
  • Place your ramekins in a baking tray and fill the baking tray (not in the ramekins) with water until they reach about 2/3 of the way up your ramekins.
  • Next to another saucepan add cream, milk, vanilla extract/bean paste and remaining sugar.  Bring to a boil and ensure all sugar is dissolved.
  • Beat eggs in a large bowl until well combined and then slowly beat in the hot milk until all combined.   Ladle the custard into the ramekins and then place in the oven for 40-50 minutes until the custard becomes gelatinous - wobbly but firm.
  • Remove from oven and take the ramekins out to cool for about hour.  Serve warm or cover with cling film and serve when ready - you can make these a day ahead if you need to!


So my friends, be kind.... was the video helpful?  I need a personal stylist don't I?  What recipe do you feel you'd love a video on?


Print this post in friendly format

10 lovely comments:

Amie on March 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow I loved watching this it was great :o) Thanks for sharing. Can you do Creme Brulee next that is something I would love to see made.

Carmel said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Fantastic Tutorial!! So keen to try this out. Thanks so much :)

PlanningQueen on March 31, 2011 at 10:45 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great tutorial Liss. It made me think even I could cook that! Will let you know how I go when I give it a try.

Super Sarah on March 31, 2011 at 5:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just one quick question with regard to the water bath, should I use warm water or cold water? I can never figure out which works for which recipe!

Rah on March 31, 2011 at 7:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOVE the video!
Don't suppose you want to do a marshmallow video?? :)

Liss on March 31, 2011 at 7:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Super Sarah The water can be any temperature - I don't see the difference given you put them in the oven straight away. Mine was cold if that gives you any comfort ;)

Liss on March 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@RahOoooh good idea! Adding it to the list, thanks Rah x

Jaime on March 31, 2011 at 7:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That was fabulous Liss. I could eat the lot!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on March 31, 2011 at 7:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Good stuff! I know I've been saying that I need to do video and I will..one day! I love the bit at the beginning with pouring the sugar- haven't we all done that! :)

Corrie on April 2, 2011 at 10:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

awwww how did I miss this. well I know but anyway I love it and thank you. my mum loved a good creme caramel and I've only made it once before but I really should do it again and follow your video as when I made it I was so nervous!

love the video, more please and yes I'd love a creme brulee that is my favourite french dish ever but I'm sure I just need a blowtorch for it!

thank you lovely friend,
corrie:)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015