Wednesday, March 25

Must be on the improve...creative day..


..or maybe it's because I had no choice! Mummy day today and we had a productive one at that! I made the girls some colouring books from the Ceebeebies print and colour site (just printed a whole bunch and put staples down one side) they loved it! Will be doing this a bit more.

Eloise had a breakthrough today with her reading, she understands S & H makes the sh sound and actually came up with some wonderful examples... both as starting and finishing words. I'm astounded at how quickly her literacy is developing... I'll certainly keep encouraging that! She might be a little like me - more literate than numeric - ironic given my career is around numbers and logic... mmm..

Did some baking today - some muesli bars and a banana cake - both turned out well.. the banana cake recipe had received much hype and whilst it is nice and moist, and delicious, it didn't quite 'blow my socks off'. Will definitely make it again down the track. Kids loved it.

Here 'tis :
Ms Butterfly's Banana Cake
Cake ingredients
2 eggs
125grams softened butter
1 cup castor sugar
1 ½ cups SR flour
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup coconut cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup mashed banana (2-3 ripe bananas)

Method
Preaheat oven to 160oC Grease round cake tin (I used a small springform pan and it made the outer nice and crunchy)

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl (I put mine in a food processor butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, coconut cream, dessicated coconut, banana, flour)
Pour into tin and bake for approximately 1 hour

Icing
Cream 25grams softened butter with 75grams softened cream cheese Mix in 1 ½ cups icing sugar and 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice or milk
Now the next one I made was Ms Mee-Mee's crunchy muesli slice/bars. The recipe I was given was 1/2 this size, but I think you do need to double it. I also substitued quite a few ingredients.... but it's still really yummy. Quite moorish actually, and my girls devoured it for afternoon tea.


Ms Mee-Mee's Crunchy Muesli Bars

Ingredients
230g butter
110g muscovado sugar (I used brown sugar)
2 tbsp molasses (I used treacle)
300 g rolled oats
110g pecans (I chopped these, goes a lot further)
110g sunflower seeds (I used kernels)
110g sultanas (I used craisins but would taste great with sultanas and currants too)

Method: Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
Put the butter, sugar & molasses into a saucepan and heat gently to melt. In a bowl stir together remaining ingredients. Add melted mixture and stir Press the mixture into a shallow, non stick baking tin and back for 20 mins. (I reckon 15 in a fan-forced oven)

Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015