Thursday, April 9

My heart sinks...


How much truth do you think there is to the claim that ADHD is a myth? A Professor Spillane just was on the Today Show and basically said parents were choosing to 'drug' their children to make them conform and typically children can be 'difficult'. hmmm.

Now I don't *think* any of my girls have ADHD though at one stage I had thought based on advice given to me by the local kindergarten that Eloise had a shorter attention span than most and might need to be assessed. Came as a surprise to me but I put it down to overstimulation. I took her out of the kindergarten and now she is thriving at her current daycare... so now I'm wondering if there is something in it? They couldn't handle her overstimulated behaviour?

When I was a nanny 16 years ago in London, one of the boys in my charge had been diagnosed with ADHD. His mother was actually a special needs teacher and had tried all kinds of behavioural measures, diet.. and when he was placed on medication did it in very small doses. It did have a startling affect. He was doing well at school, absorbing information, forging better relationships with children at school and with his siblings and the home environment in general.

I don't know whether you'd call the medication an act of 'inforcing compliance' but it did make life a whole lot easier for everyone, including the child. Think I will ponder this one a bit more. Certainly was throught provoking.

Here's a link to information Professor Spillane has outlined as basis for interview.

Here's the video of the segment

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Elisa on April 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, I truly thing there are cases with ADHD is misdiagnosed and in *some* instances, people may see medicating as the easy option. Having said that, I am sure there are plenty of parents who have tried everything possible before turning to meds. Sad either way.

Elisa on April 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Corr blimey, look at my typos will ya!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015