Monday, October 25

Road test SFI November 2010: Oven baked risotto with chicken and chorizo



Happy Monday all!  How was your weekend?

Ours was a bit busy - but happy to get some things ticked off the ever-growing list.  Eloise has been wanting a more 'grown up room' for a while so hubby and I went out to Ikea last Friday and circled it twice getting her a new desk, bookshelf and duvet cover etc.  Saturday I went in search of matching curtains and hubby did the flat-pack stuff (we all know how hopeless I am with that!) and by last night it was done!  I have yet to re-paint some furniture and put up the new decals I ordered but she was chuffed.  My girl went to bed a happy girl on Saturday night!

Yesterday I made this - it was so easy and yummy - from this months' Superfood Ideas - Kim, the food editor does a section called 'Feed my family!' where she makes a meal for a real family.   It's quite delicious, but be warned, it makes a lot!    Hubby is allergic to capsicum so I have omitted, and I cheated a little bit with some of the instructions (you need to buy the issue to see the differences people!) but it turned out a treat, and the girls loved it - hubby is taking left-overs for lunch today and I've got another couple of lunches stashed away in the freezer.

Works out quite cheap too - about $10 for the whole meal I reckon!

Ingredients:
pinch of saffron (or cheat like I did and use a tiny amount of imitation saffron)
2 litres low salt (that is important!) chicken stock (8 cups)
1.2kg chicken drumsticks
2 tsp paprika (I didn't use this as my chorizo had a lot of paprika in them, but it's up to you)
2 onions, diced
2 chorizo sausages 
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
3 cups arborio rice 
1 cup frozen peas, cooked
2 tomatoes, diced
2 sprigs continental parsley, roughly chopped

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Put a bit of water (say a couple of tablespooons) in the bottom of a microwave proof bowl and pop in the microwave on high for about 40 seconds, then put the saffron in the bottom.   Let to sit for a minute or two.  and then top up with chicken stock.  Set aside.

Brown your chicken legs, if you want to add extra paprika, add 1 tablespoon to the chicken now.  Take the chicken legs out when done, set aside.

Brown your onion, add garlic and the chorizo and then the last tsp of paprika.   Add the arborio rice and about 1 cup of your stock and allow to simmer for a minute.

Add your chicken back with the rest of the stock and place a lid or cover with aluminium foil tightly.

Bake for 45-55 minutes until your rice has mostly absorbed the liquid.   Have your peas, tomato and parsley on standby.

Add in your peas, stir through.  Then sprinkle over your tomato and parsley - serve!

How good does that look?

Don't forget!  You can win a Superfood Ideas subscription merely by taking a photo of a recipe you found on Frills in the Hills and posting them on Facebook using these instructions!  This months' entries finish on Friday!!

See you this afternoon for the newest addition to the Frills in the Hills Christmas stocking - a discount AND a giveaway - everyone wins!!
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Cate on October 25, 2010 at 8:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks good - I have been meaning to give that recipe a try!!

Check out what I made with Nutella yesterday - Nutella Fudge Brownies!! You will love them

Cate

Sophie on October 25, 2010 at 10:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That sounds so good my mouth is watering! Definitely testing this one out Liss!!! Thanks.

Mel on October 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! It looks just like a paella! I'm hopeless at making risotto - always turns out gluggy, so I'll drool over your pictures.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on October 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love chorizo in just about anything but putting it in an easy risotto has got to tick all the boxes!

Corrie on October 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yummo, I'm sure everyone would love that here!!!! huge SFI fan here

Corrie:)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015