Wednesday, October 27

Cheesy turkey loaf


I know.  It sounds weird doesn't it?  Turkey is something I've only taken to cooking with this year - many US recipes for it - I guess because beef mince is not as accessible and affordable as it is here?  Hmm.  Well I'm liking finding new ways to cook turkey mince - but you need to be careful, as turkey mince does have a tendency to dry out easily - so I thought I'd give meatloaf a try as our beef one is lovely and succulent - and bingo !

Now I know it looks a bit odd, but it's really tasty.  Even hubby the most dedicated red meat man was won over by this!  I think the cheese and herbed crumbs give it that lift the mince needs.  Add any sauce you like - I preferred BBQ but the frills liked tomato!

Our loaf made us dinner plus some lunches, so good value for money I think too - if there's only 3 of you in your family - cut the recipe in half, otherwise- enjoy!


Ingredients:
2 pieces of bread or 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2 sprigs fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
10 medium fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp dried
1 sprig continental parsley
3/4 cup milk
1 kg turkey mince
1/2 large brown onion, finely diced
1 small carrot, grated
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups grated cheese


Method:
In a food processor, pulse bread with fresh herbs (or mix breadcrumbs with dried herbs).  Add the milk, mix and set aside.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a mixing bowl, mix the mince, onion, carrot, eggs and soaked breadcrumbs, mix well and then lastly mix through the cheese.




Put the mixture into a greased loaf pan, cover tightly with aluminium foil and cook for about 45 minutes.  Turn off the oven and allow to sit for about 5 minutes before slicing in the pan and then transferring slices to your plate.

Cover in sauce!.... mmm!

Do you cook with turkey mince?  Tried my slow cooker Moroccan turkey meatballs perhaps?  Turkey burgers are or is turkey for the turkeys?
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Cate on October 27, 2010 at 7:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've used turkey quite a lot - I like it. The recipe I made last night called for turkey, but I couldn't find any turkey steaks - so I used chicken instead. You can pretty well substitute in most chicken recipes. Turkey Burritos are good!!

Elizabeth said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Beef mince (aka hamburger, for some reason, Thankfully I have the hubby trained to call it mince :P) is readily available over here, and usually it is cheaper than turkey mince, at about $2US a pound for beef, and a bit more for turkey. Usually turkey is promoted more for it's healthy aspects. I find that turkey mince can be a lot wetter than beef mince, but do use it on occasion using more binders.

Lamb, in any form, is the hard one to find. And even then, it tastes gamier for the most part, as it tends to be a bit older, etc. It's one of the big things I miss about being in Australia.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015