Monday, October 18

Homemade fish fingers!


When I was a kid there was hardly any processed anything.  I'm pretty sure I told you the story of how I vomited at a school friends house after my first smell of processed tinned Parmesan cheese (sacrilege in my mothers eyes, and mine come to think of it)....

Anyhoo there is an exception to every rule, and in our house it was fish fingers.   To me, they were like the best meal in the world (ungrateful wretch when I think about my Mum's cooking in hindsight) and I would devour them.  My Nan also had a stash at her house when I stayed over... When I was asked what I wanted for dinner, nine times out of ten .. maybe more. I would say 'fish fingers!'  and my Mum would say 'Lissy, if you eat anymore fish fingers, you'll turn into one'.  I think I believed her too.

So I don't give them to my kids, I don't know why really (maybe I saw a 621 on the back of a packet once?  Might check again...) but I thought I'd try and make them, and wooot!  They are yummy!

If using fresh fish (i.e. not frozen) make them up, cook them and freeze them - a quick fix meal like the ones in the box!


Ingredients:
600 g firm white fish (I used Ling)
2 egg whites
1 cup crushed cornflakes
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tb finely grated parmesan
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tb finely chopped parsley
canola oil for frying

Method:
Combine your cornflake crumbs with your breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and parmesan and put in a large ziplock bag.  Close, and shake around madly until all mixed up!

Cut your fish into fingers!  Remove any bones if any, leave skin on if you like it!

Dip your fish in the egg white, flick off any excess and then place into the ziplock bag and shake around...

Put into frypan of boiling hot canola oil, cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side (4 sides) then place on paper towel, and if cooking in large batches place in an oven at about 170 degrees.

Serve!



Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

Diminishing Lucy on October 18, 2010 at 7:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am giggling, because fish fingers were the only processed food we ever had as kids too. And I make my kids 'real' fish fingers like these...minus the cornflake crumbs, which I must try.....

Amie on October 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thats so funny. Fish fingers were the only processed food we had as kids as well, and I make them instead of buying. notice a trend here perhaps?

emmaO on October 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hey Liss, could you put these straight in the oven without frying them first? Em

Liss on October 18, 2010 at 9:36 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hey Lucy and Amie!

Yes I wonder what has started this trend... cost/anti-processed food/ingredients? hmmm

Emma, I suppose you could but I'd freeze them first and then spray with canola spray ---> because it would prevent the fish drying out (it would thaw rather than cook the fish whilst the outside gets crispy). Give a try and let me know? x

Christie on October 18, 2010 at 11:56 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've been making my own chicken nuggets with the cornflake crust, but this is a great idea, I always love getting more fish into the kids diets and I hate buying frozen foods!
Nice one, Liss.

Natalie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi, I was wondering how much parmesan you used as you didn't say in the ingredients list. I will definately be cooking these for my kids, yum!

Christie @ Fig and Cherry on October 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've never tried a cornflake crust before... will give it a go!

Josiejo said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss,

Just wondering how much Parmesan I should use? Do you buy the block and grate it as you need it or buy shaved or shredded parmesan?

Liss on March 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Josiejo I do buy it by the block and grate it - 2 tb would do it which is about 15-20g - you need only buy the smallest amount :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015