Saturday, October 9

I've got quite a big announcement.


[image]

This is top billing in my house, and our family finances.   I have been sitting on this information for over a week and I didn't share it because I think I couldn't quite believe it myself.  I didn't want to jinx it.

Now I haven't won the Nobel Peace prize, nor am I hosting my own TV show, publishing a book and I haven't won the lottery.... (damn, damn, damn, damn) and it's probably not as exciting to you but it's sure as hell as exciting for me.

I just went to the supermarket and for the first time in over SIX years I didn't have to buy nappies.  Not one.  Can you imagine how many nappies I have changed?  When Olivia and Laura were born, Eloise was only 18 months old and was still in nappies.   Now we did modern cloth during the day and disposables at night and going out/away but still, that's a lot of nappies to change (and wash) We worked out that we changed about 150 nappies a week at that point.

The litle girls have been toilet trained almost 2 years but all my girls are heavy sleepers and therefore have been a challenge to night train.. and as I learned from trying to toilet train Eloise quite unsuccessfully when she was 2.5 is that you just have to stick out these things because they will do it when they're ready.

Olivia and Laura proved that when they almost toilet trained themselves at 3y1m.   Eloise was still wetting the night nappy on a semi-regular basis  right up until about a month ago at 6y3m.  Then I started to actually record when we had dry/wet night nappies because the kids usually just put them in the bin themselves and after a week we were all dry we went for it.... that was 10 days ago - no nappies anymore!

It felt so liberating to not buy them, although about $20 a week - that's still $20!  That's $1,040 a year - back in OUR pockets.

So proud of our girls.   We are out of nappies, FOR GOOD. I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Print this post in friendly format

14 lovely comments:

realityraver on October 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Woo Hoo, that must be fantastic.

Eilah said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Congrats!! Well done girls!

Unknown on October 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That is a super big, exciting, amazing announcement!! I think no nappies is a big deal. Can't wait to be at that point!! I have three in nappies at the moment (one just overnight). The youngest is three months, so we've got years ahead of us of nappies! You should put aside a couple of weeks of nappy budget and use it for a nice dinner to celebrate!!

http://www.biancawordley.blogspot.com

Mel said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Congrats Liss and of course the girls! I am still waiting for that moment, but I look forward to it with anticipation :D

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thats brilliant news!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh bliss!!! I think I know how you must be feeling and I'm hanging out to feel that way too! My little boy is a long way off being night trained too, so it could be a while....

PS. my word verification was bilsit.....sounds a little like a naughty word teehee!

Rina on October 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Woo hoo!!!!!!!! That's awesome - I can't WAIT for that day around here!!

Cathie on October 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhh yay! no nappies, that is the best feeling EVER!
well done girls.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It's a cool feeling isn't it? That and getting them onto normal food instead of baby food... it's the most wonderful/sad feeling there is.

I know, I have trouble letting them age... a lot of trouble with it. I do it but I don't like it.

M

Nadiah on October 10, 2010 at 4:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Woo! Congratulations. And make sure you don't do anything silly like save that $20 for something sensible and instead go get a treat for yourself :-)

Wendy on October 11, 2010 at 1:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My brilliant youngest is dry (bless her!) at 2.4, and as she has 5 older sibs, this is our first time nappy-free in I can't say how many years! Liberating, isn't it? ;)

Dielle on October 12, 2010 at 5:30 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have 6 (and twins), so I totally know about that! My youngest is 17 mo so I have awhile to go until he's out, but one of my twins is still not dry most nights and she'll be 5 in Dec. It's frustrating, but what can you do?

Zucchinimom on October 12, 2010 at 10:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

After four kids and all of them between the ages of 9-16 now, I totally appreciate your post because I remember the day when we no longer needed diapers! I wanted to have a party and the savings was phenomenal. Congratulations!!! It truly is a milestone and puts a smile on ones face!!!!

Kylie on June 10, 2011 at 8:45 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I long for this day! lol. I am close. Down to 1 nappy at night only for my 2 year old. If I am lucky and she is like her sister I will be as happy as you in 6 months. Woohoo!!!

It is quite a milestone and very exciing for parents everywhere! :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015