Friday, October 29

Cheaty Friday recipe: Quickie potato bake



Everyone has their own recipe for potato bake.  But the thing I don't like about potato bake is it takes so long to make!  I always feel like it when I really don't have the one-hour-plus or motivation to make one from scratch.

So I cheat.  Sue me.


Ingredients:
1 kg new or chat potatoes, skin left on and sliced in approx 3mm slices.
1 leek, sliced
1 rasher bacon, diced
60g butter
2 tb plain flour
3 cups milk
1 tb french onion soup mix
2/3 cup grated cheese


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Put your potatoes to cook on their own, either steam or boil (I steam mine in the microwave for 10 minutes - I really recommend getting a microwave vege steamer if you don't have one)

Whilst they bubble away, in a frypan gently fry the bacon with the leek until the leek is soft.
Then in another saucepan, add some butter and melt, add the flour and whisk into a roux, add the milk gradually until it becomes a thick sauce - don't walk away - it happens quickly!  Add the soup mix, stir through and set the saucepan aside.


When the potatoes are cooked (well mostly cooked anyways) drain completely and place in oven proof dish.   Mix through the leek and bacon and then the sauce.    Top with cheese and bake in the oven 15 minutes (whilst you wash up and put the finishing touches on the rest of your dinner... or grab some wine..)


Serve!
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Natalie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I do a version of this but if I'm really in a hurry I use cream and add it to the french onion soup then throw it in the oven.

Diminishing Lucy on October 29, 2010 at 10:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Is that cheating?! That is how I have always made it! (And my Mum too, which is where I learned it from......) The only varaition is onions instead of leeks.....

xx

A Farmer's Wife on October 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I don't think it's cheating. More a case of excellent time management!

Thanks for the lovely recipe.

Impish on December 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just whipped this up for dinner. I indulged in the chef's perogative of taste testing before serving up to the family... Deeeelicious! Now if only my munchkin would stop having a meltdown over Night Garden having ended, we could see what she thinks of it.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015