Thursday, October 14

Middle eastern feast #3 - The accidental pita/pocket bread!



Now what would all this Middle Eastern feast be without some pocket/pita bread huh?
Now I have a little confession where this is concerned, I tried to use a recipe but got distracted.  Used half the yeast, twice the water and the wrong flour - once I realised this I adjusted, and it turned out.. perfect.  I couldn't quite believe it.  Hubby and my friend Kristin witnessed my amazement and I'm sure found it quite amusing as with every mouthful I'd be shaking my head and rolling my eyes.

I suppose that's sometimes how you stumble on your recipe right?

Ingredients
3 cups self raising flour
1 tb dry yeast
1 tsp bicarb soda
2 cups plain flour
1 tb salt

Method
Dissolve yeast into 500ml warm water,  and then pour into a bowl with the 3 cups self raising flour.  Mix well.  Mix in the the bicarb, plain flour and salt and knead into a smooth dough.

Place in a greased bowl, and cover with cling film.  Sit in a warm place for 2 hours to rise.

Preheat oven to 260 degrees c

When it's risen divide into portions about 150g of weight.   Roll out flat and place on greased baking trays.

Bake for about 5-7 minutes, they will puff up slightly, and brown a little.

Leave to cool on baking rack, cut in half and fill em up!  Maybe with lamb koftas or souvlaki hoummus, tabbouleh and perhaps this afternoon's recipe.. felafel!

Just like Kristin did...

Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Kristin on October 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I ate this! Om nom nom! Liss is a genius!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015