Saturday, October 9

Lists, lists lists


[image]

I am a prolific and obsessive list maker.  I make no apology.

When hubby and I first started to live together he would make jokes about how I 'project managed our life with lists'.   I took the jibe with a grain of salt, because he was right - I made lists for work (Yes, I am a professional project manager in my work life) and I made lists for home.

Lists allow to me relax.  I never worry even a teensy bit as much as I would if I didn't have a list.

Because I'd worry I'd forget something and then chastize myself relentlessly:  'How could you have FORGOTTEN that?' and I love ticking things off a list -it's like: 'snaps to me, I'm getting things done'


I run so many lists concurrently.   I keep most of them in my notebook -  currently on the go I've got:

- Christmas Lists - Christmas present list, Christmas checklist, Christmas card list
- Spring cleaning list - This is general like cleaning out cupboards, re-arranging clothing, selling or donating outgrown clothing, high pressure hose the exterior of the house etc, clean external windows etc.
- General to do list (This is stuff like 'call my bestie' 're-register the dog' 'Abuse foxtel for sending me another dodgy bill')
- The Frills in the Hills list - these are things I want to do to enhance Frills in the Hills in the short, medium and long term
- Recipe list (where I keep a list of all the things I have brainwaves to do and write down in case I forget)
- School uniform list - I have recently worked out what we have as far as hand-me downs for L&O next year for school, and now have a list of things to buy Eloise to replace or Laura and Olivia new.

And lastly but not leastly, the shopping list.  (I have the Kikki-K one pictured right)

The shopping list lives on the fridge - which is a step away from the pantry.  This is the third one I've made my way through - and I'll need to get another soon.  The shopping list is the one that hands-down gives me the most sanity!  When something runs out or is near running out, it goes on the list.  Sometimes hubby puts something in the recycling and doesn't put it on the list I get cranky.   (Hehe maybe I need a things that make me cranky list)


Are you a list keeper ?  Do you thrive on it or do they stress you out? 
Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

Belinda on October 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I was never a list person until recently and now obsessed.
I'm more organized and seem to get more dine if I have lists.
I to have mine in a book. X

Mishelle on October 9, 2010 at 7:23 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a general to do list that is either posted on the cupboard or sitting next to the computer - so I SEE it and do what's on it. I also have a grocery list and a rule about it "If it isn't on the list it doesn't get bought" even my 7 yr old knows it. I also have christmas card lists saved from year to year and a list of christmas gifts to buy and for who.

If I don't list it, it doesn't get done as I have no short term memory due to the children. Lists are good for me.. it keeps everything out there.

:-)

M

Super Sarah on October 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am an obsessive list maker too! I have one that I email myself everyday that I just add things to as and when I think about it. Sometimes it gets split into to-do-NOW and to-do-LATER. Now that I have launched my photography business I have a work to-do list but my best list is in my little moleskin diary, it has a week on one side of the page and a blank lined page next to it and this is where I write my meal plan and shopping list each week. I love this little diary! I have next years already and can't wait to start filling it up with lists!

Nic said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Me too! Me too! I am a compulsive list writer! I have lists for everything, like you said to do lists, shopping lists, Christmas lists and the list goes on :-) My dad even joked about my list making addiction in his speech at my wedding (obviously there were LOTS of lists in the lead up to that!!) He claims to have seen lists of lists! Anyway its nice to know I'm not alone! And oh the sense of satisfaction when you cross things off your to do list!

Photography on October 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love lists too just get frustrated when i don't get through them all!!
Thanks for commenting on the Flea market finds - they cost $16.50!! Was very pleased with that :-)

Photography on October 9, 2010 at 12:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I mean $17.50 - still good price I thought :-)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland on October 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I wasn't a list person until i met my husband. I'd made it through my first year of Uni, part time work & babysitting gigs without making lists . . . but for our first Christmas he bought me a FiloFax, it changed my life!! 16 years later (2 degrees, 4 children, 2 businesses, 6 houses in different states later . . .) i still have that filofax & LIVE off lists. Love Posie

PinkPatentMaryJanes on October 9, 2010 at 5:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I LOVE lists - so much so that I've got a bunch of them on my computer - Christmas Card list, Packing for Holiday lists... Love them.

Sophie on October 10, 2010 at 2:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think we are destined to be friends!!! I (along with my younger sister) am an OCD list keeper! I recently visited a Kikki.K store for the first time and thought I was going to pass out with excitement! I came home with (among many items) the A4 daily to-do list and LOVE IT!
Sophie
http://reddustlove.blogspot.com


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015