Friday, October 22

Frugal Fast Food: Butterflied peri peri chicken


So, it's Friday and I certainly hope you've got a cocktail or a glass of your favourite poison planned for later today!  This week for me has been a bit busy, particularly at school - orientation evening and days, organising school uniform displays, presentations, Christmas shopping and a bit of organising as I'm having a garage sale in a few weeks - we're in a transition as a family - all the toddler/preschooler stuff is on it's way out!  It's a mixture of nostalgia and freedom!

So I'm planning myself a cosmopolitan tonight!

Peri Peri chicken is something I love to order at that burger joint but some years ago my Dad started to make it on the BBQ - and now I always want his instead of theirs. My Dad's a good lot spicier but if you like that chilli afterburn, add two red chillies into the marinade, and 'she'll be right'.  I haven't added them and although there is chilli powder you can't really taste it and it's super mild - even for the kids.  Usually my kids can detect chilli from a mile away - they didn't with this!

We also busted out the BBQ for the first time in spring for this recipe too and it made me so happy!  I love  BBQ on the weekdays in particular - it just feels so festive!

Ingredients

1 raw chicken (I used lilydale size 18 - 1.8kg)
70g butter
3 tb olive oil
2 cloves garlic
juice of 2 lemons (about 1/3 cup)
1 tb paprika
2 tsp chili powder

Method
In a food processor combine butter, oil, garlic, lemon juice, paprika and 1 tsp of chili powder. It may seem a little curdled, but don't get discouraged!

Butterfly your chicken by cutting with kitchen shears, a very sharp knife or a cleaver (love our Ikea cleaver!) down the centre of the UNDERSIDE of your chicken.  Turn it upside down and push down so it sits flat(ish)

Rub your mix all over and under the chicken, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp chilli powder over each side and then place in a ziplock bag or airtight container in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.

Heat your BBQ and then put your chicken on - beware of flames as your chicken may flame up due to the oil/butter content,  don't worry!  If you have a hood, put it down and BBQ for 10 minutes each side!  Baste with the remainder of the marinade before you turn over.

 Remove the chicken from the BBQ and rest for about 5 minutes. then cut up your chicken as you like.  I like to cut into 6 pieces:  Down the centre, then under each wing and above the hip (top of drumstick)

It's incredibly juicy!!

Enjoy


Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Jane on October 22, 2010 at 7:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum!! I always used to order the peri peri chicken from THAT burger joint too. This looks ever better xxx

Mel said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks fantastic Liss! That will certainly be on the menu this weekend.

I cheat when I butterfly my chicken, I get my butcher to do it for me.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on October 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've always wanted to crack their recipe so this is perfect! :)

Christie @ Fig and Cherry on October 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So easy and so yummy! Love the hubby action shots ;)

Cate on October 22, 2010 at 10:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks scrumptious!! Will have to put that on the menu in the upcoming weeks!!

Have I got a cocktail for later today - absolutely!!!

Lauren on October 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think that marinade would work really well with chicken roasting pieces too. I've got some of those nice Lilydale pieces in my freezer that seem perfect for it - that'll be my easy dinner next Friday!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015