Thursday, October 28

My new favourite way with sausages - Jazzed up snags!


My girls adore sausages - I don't know how many don't - and they're a great budget buster and take little time to make - but I get bored, bored BORED of sausages.   I make sausage pie, sausage hotpot, slow cooker casserole, cheaty cannelloni and yummy cassoulet....  because as much as I like the odd sausage sizzle - plain sausages don't fill me with joy.

This is based on a Nigella recipe I remember seeing in a Christmas entertaining special - she used honey - but I couldn't remember what else - so I just made it up (as you do!)  These are SO yummy!  I'm making them again and soon because I did it all in the oven and it was quick easy and very tasty.  I used some supermarket brand chipolatas and this really did lift them up.

How do you jazz up your snags?


Ingredients:
1 kg chipolata sausages (I used beef, and please, cut this down by 500g, I made 1kg because we like cold sausages leftover!)
1 tb canola oil
2 tb honey
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1/4 tsp chilli powder


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 deg c

In a baking tray or casserole dish place your sausages - pour over the oil and massage through.

Place in the oven for 15 minutes, take out, turn over sausages and return to oven.

Mix the honey, mustard, chili powder and 2 tb water in a jar or bowl, mix well.  After your sausages have been in the oven 5 minutes, take out, pour the mixture over the sausages and return to the oven for another 7-8 minutes.

Take out, and enjoy!  Drizzle any remaining mixture over sausages when served!
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

SadieandLance on October 28, 2010 at 8:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Mel from From Little Things made these for a craft group meetup earlier this year and I can vouch for their yumminess!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland on October 28, 2010 at 12:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sausages are a quick fix & if you make my lazy mistake earlier this month, when i froze 3kg in a lump, even my large family struggled with sausages for dinner, cold ones in lunch, sausage casserole, then i took the sausage mince out of the casings to make rissoles & sausage rolls!! They didn't notice & i'll never be so lazy again!! Love Posie

Unknown on October 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh YUM! Might pull this out for this weekends BBQ. Is there any easy way to print your recipes like a Recipe card?

Super Sarah on October 28, 2010 at 6:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmmm, I make a similar kind of bake-in gravy to jazz up supermarket chipolatas slow fried with onions and then a quick roux and some beef stock, stick it all back in the oven, delicious!

A recipe card would be a great idea!

Krysbrem on October 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sausages are a big thing in this house with the little people too {and my husband for that matter}. I make a bbq, chilli, tomato sauce mix and then pour that on top and top with cheese..... Now I feel like bangers & mash


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015