Sunday, October 3

Sunday baking project: Traditional Pavlova


I'm finding myself internally squealing and clapping my hands during our farmgate runs.  I'm loving seeing all the new spring and advance summer produce coming in and the other day when I saw good passionfruit, with kiwi and strawberries the only thing I wanted to make was pavlova.    We've been eating outdoors as much as possible lately and last weekend I made this and we had it for afternoon tea.  It was meant to be for dessert but no one could wait!

The pavlova recipe is Stephanie Alexander - goddess of pavlovas.  It's never failed for me and I've made it into mini pavlovas too.  Love it.  *Squeal* I feel summer edging its way....

What do you like on your pavlova?


Ingredients
4 egg whites, at room temperature
half a lemon
250 grams caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar

600mls double cream or whipped cream

Fresh fruit like passionfruit, kiwi, bananas, strawberries - whatever you fancy!  Or you could do raspberries and shaved chocolate - get creative!

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

Grease and line a spring form tin.  I put my baking paper on the bottom - not cutting it size and clamp the springform onto it then cut around the outside of the tin... then cut strips and place around the sides.

Cut your lemon in half, and rub the juice into the inner surfaces of your mixing bowl (or kitchenaid bowl) and beaters.  wipe with paper towel.  This gets rid of any greasy residue on either and ensures perfect egg whites every time (good tip huh?)

Place your egg whites in bowl and beat until stiff peaks. Add sugar in 1/3 at a time and beat until completely mixed (mix should be glossy)

Turn off beaters, remove from stand and add cornflour, vanilla, vinegar and vinegar.  Mix through carefully.  (By using the vinegar and cornflour, it makes the pavlovas crispy on the outside, and gooey-marshmallow-chewy like in the centre.)

When ready to place in oven - turn down oven to 150 degrees immediately.   Bake for one hour.

Once baking is down, turn off oven, and leave pavlova in oven for at least one hour to cool.(You can store in airtight containers for about 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.)

When completely cooled, top with cream and decorate as you wish..


Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Corrie on October 3, 2010 at 9:10 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh yum, this is what retro daddy wants for the baby's baptism lunch so I think I have no excuses now. I can't believe I've never made the base before - I've only bought it so I think I need to make one - looks pretty easy!

corrie:)

Jasmine1485 on October 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I gave you an award! :)

http://ntfancy.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-first-ever-award.html

Hope you have a great day

Jasmine1485


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015