Sunday, August 1

Sunday baking project: Coloured cut-out cookies


I have a wee addiction to cookie cutters.  Put your hand up if you're with me!?? Please?

Cute ones I just have no control over myself and I have a super-big-bag of them. A-hem.   I've really had to stop myself from going crazy over at mini gourmets but when I saw the little teapot... well.. it spoke to me 'buy me, buy me, I'm only $1.99'.

And at $1.99 how could I refuse that cute little teapot I ask you?  How?

Usually I use this recipe but I wanted something new.  We went to a birthday party yesterday and am off to another today so I thought I'd make the little birthday girls some personalised cookies.. and of course try out my new teapot cookie cutter that arrived on Friday!



So cute no?  It's iced with white chocolate and decorated with cachous but they look cute not decorated too!

Here's the recipe!

Ingredients
185gr butter, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp wilton gel colouring (or colouring of your choice)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups plain flour

Method:
Cream your butter and sugar together - mix with your mixer for at least 2 minutes - until it becomes light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla extract and food colouring and mix well.

Add egg, and then gradually 1/2 a cup at a time add the sifted plain flour until it is all combined. It should pull away from bowl and become dough-like.

Place in a ziplock bag, and into the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.

When you remove, preheat the oven to 170 degrees c.

Let your dough thaw for about 5 minutes, and roll out on a liberally floured surface, cut out as you please!

Place on greased tins and bake for 9-12 minutes.  Keep an eye on them, because you don't want them to brown around the edges (as a few of my first ones did!) it ruins the colour.

Make a whole rainbow of cookies, make them to match your party, make them for pink ribbon day!  They are easy and look fabulous on a plate, irresistible!

Feel like making some today?  Tell me about your favourite cookie cutter if you have one..!

Print this post in friendly format

13 lovely comments:

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a teapot that I used for a little girls tea party... I cut the sandwiches out with it.

What I really want to know is where to get the ones that can be set with words like you've used. :)

Sarah @ For the Love of Food on August 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss I only have a meagre few cutters (stars and fluted circles) and my little one has a set of animals, numbers and letters for playdough. How did you do the lettering?

Natalie on August 1, 2010 at 3:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The Cookie Cutter is brilliant hey Liss and you have used it beautifully!

Make sure you post a pic on the Mini Gourmets facebook page :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I too would love to know how you did the lettering. I have something come up and these would be perfect for the event with a message on them!

Jule on August 1, 2010 at 4:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They look amazing! I'd like to know how you did the lettering and where you get the bags from?

Cathie on August 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

cute! I love cookie cutters.
my favourite has to be the heart one aswell as gingerbread man & mini gingerbread boy.

Steph@LittlePotBelly on August 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My fav cookie cutter has to be the gingerbread man! I also remember my mum making gingerbread cookies using my hand as a stencil...I was 3 years old and I still remember it now! Good times... :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on August 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh just loving the silhouette work on your teapot! :o Hehe yes you know me, cookie cutter addiction here :)

Corrie on August 3, 2010 at 7:31 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh pink is so pretty! I love my russian doll cookie cutters and fairy wand I bought for keira! we really need to get them out and get baking!
Corrie:)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

any chance you can share you secret with the letters? I was hoping to do these for a party this weekend : )

Liss on August 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liss on August 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Anonymous (whoever you are? :) ) I sourced the cutters from Williams Sonoma through a friend. You can't currently purchase them from or in Australia unfortunately! I do know that some people are trying though :)

nellbe on August 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

we love cookie cutters in this house, I bought a heap from Mini Gourmets as well, we got a baby hand and a baby foot for a certain someones first birthday and a car, train, fluted love heart... and there is more.

I shall be trying both recipes you suggest but when gluten free flour. I haven't had much success in the past with the whole cutting out thing.. I plan on posting about it on my blog so watch this space!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015