Sunday, August 8

Sunday Baking Project: Make your own Oreos!



Yes indeedy.

I will admit, I tried a little bit of one of these (shhh don't tell my doctor!) and they are pretty spot-on.  I got the recipe from Rina who got it from these lot of people but yes, I have modified it, because the cocoa we have here is probably more bitter than the US and I also modified some of the process... don't kill me OK?

Hubby is a very happy man given I can't eat them... but what he doesn't know yet is I have stashed some in the freezer for when this chemical free diet is over.  I will say now based on his long 'mm.mm..Mmm's' playful teasing - he won't be getting ANY of that stash.  Fair don't you think?

Have a lovely Sunday all!  See you tomorrow with an UBER giveaway! xx

Ingredients:
250g butter
2 cups caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup cocoa (I used Cadbury Bourneville)
100g chocolate, melted (I used Lindt cooking chocolate)

Filling
60g shortening (I used supafry solidified vegetable oil), at room temperature
75g butter, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups icing sugar, sifted

Method:
Cream butter, sugar together well until it has become pale and fluffy.  Add vanilla, then eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add flour, salt, cocoa  and mix for about 2 minutes, lastly add melted chocolate and mix until well combined.   

Place in a plastic bag and in the fridge for about 1/2 hour until it firms up a little.

Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Roll out onto a piece of baking paper and place another piece on top and roll it to a 3mm thickness.  

Cut out with your cutter.  I did a combination of scalloped and round...

Place on lined or greased baking tray and bake for about 8-10 minutes.  You want them to go slightly darker at the edges.  

Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray and then transfer to cooling rack.

To make the filling combine the shortening and butter and add vanilla, whip until fluffy

Add icing sugar and mix for about 2-3 minutes.

Spread about a teaspoon in the centre of a cookie and then squish down with a 'partner cookie' around the same size.    

These should freeze well, this mix made 60 sandwich cookies for me, although some were a little thin, I estimate about 50-55 for you guys.


Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Ally {mtm} on August 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

O.M.G!

You are my hero!

xx

Anita on August 8, 2010 at 11:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look great Liss; easier than expected and could make minis for the kids too!
Thank you :)

Christie @ Fig and Cherry on August 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These are awesome! And that's coming from someone who personally taste-tested one. Can't wait to try making these!!!

Kylie G on August 11, 2010 at 9:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

YUM! You're too clever.

Lorri on August 27, 2010 at 10:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You must have read my mind. We don't really eat Oreo's, but have bought some mini ones this week and yum! I thought I must try to make them myself and googled a bit this afternoon but only found American versions/ingredients. Tonight I thought I'd check a few of my fav blogs and found this..yay, will be def making them soon. Thanks!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

HI, your list of ingredients is missing eggs. I had a quick look online and 2 eggs seems ok for this mixture. I make it and they turned out great. A little tip to make it faster to cut them.

Leave mixture to cool til really firm. I left mine overnight, then roll mixture it into logs and cutting into round disks. It's much faster and less waste than using a cookie cutter. Thanks for the recipe! Lorri


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015