Friday, August 27

Frugal Fast Food: American style corn dogs


I know, I know, you're thinking 'why didn't she do the battered sav?' Right?

Well I do love me a battered sav but I've had one of these once and thought it was a nice change. It's not as 'dough-y' either.  I like the taste of the cornmeal (polenta) too.  It takes literally about 10 minutes to make 6 of these.  They would be great for birthday parties or a grand-final party I reckon (few of those coming up!)


Ingredients:
(cost - approximately $4.50 for 6 corndogs)
6 long frankfurts - uncooked
6 sticks/thick skewers - you could use some unstained wooden chopsticks too.
1 egg
1/4 cup fine polenta
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tb caster sugar
1 pinch salt

2 cups vegetable oil for frying




Method:
Place your sticks/skewers in some water (this will prevent them from burning when cooking later)

In a jug mix egg, polenta, flour, milk, sugar and salt.  Stir well with a fork until well combined.  Pour into a tall glass.

Place the oil in a large frypan or saucepan and begin to heat.
Pierce the end of your frankfurt with your stick and move at least 1/2 way through the length.  Place frankfurt side down into the glass with the batter in and collect as much batter as you can.   You may need to use your fingers to move around the batter evenly, but it will stick.

Place in hot oil for about 1 1/2 minutes on one side, turn over and for another minute on the other side.

Drain on kitchen paper and serve with sauce of your choice (just don't wear it all like my Laura seems to like to!)

Nice for a treat right?



It's been a bit of musical chairs around the blogsphere lately.  
Yesterday I blogged over at Childhood 101 - about how to plan and put together a small herb garden with the kids.
Today I have posted at Fat Mum Slim about my little frills.
Tomorrow I have a guest poster doing some Party Palooza with us.
Sunday baking project is going to be very popular I think - can't wait to show you all!

Have a wonderful weekend all! xx



Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Corrie on August 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ok I think that is off the charts in terms of calories!!!!! but i'm sure the kids would LOVE them!

love the little sauce heart - too cute:)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015