Sunday, August 22

Sunday Baking Project: Express Caramel mud cake


I put out the call on twitter and facebook this week for a caramel mud cake recipe.  Ironic as I'm back on a full diet again with no restrictions, you'd think I'd be whipping up chocolate or cinnamon something-or-other... but caramel mud cake I had the hankering for.

One of my lovely readers Bridget-Jayne sent me a recipe and it looked fabulous, however I didn't have enough of one ingredient (white chocolate) so I tweaked it a little (hope you forgive me!) so it's not so dense but not light like a cake - it's somewhere in between.  Good news is it still has chocolate in it!

I don't think it needs an icing but I reckon if have a really sweet tooth, I'll pop a suggestion at the end of the post for you!

So why is this an express caramel mud cake?  Because it only bakes for an hour or so, cutting the usual cook-time for a mudcake by half!

Ingredients:
200 g butter
200 g brown sugar
150 g white chocolate
1 tb golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup milk


Method:
Preheat oven to 150 degrees
In a saucepan over low heat combine butter, brown sugar, white chocolate, golden syrup and vanilla extract.

Stir well whilst it heats and come to a caramel sauce.  Turn off heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes.

Place flours in a mixing bowl, add the caramel sauce and combine well.  Add eggs one at a time whilst mixing.  Lastly, add milk gradually until it forms a thick cake batter, the batter should ribbon (i.e. drop from the beaters like a ribbon - see pic below)

Pour batter into a well greased cake tin or springform pan.  Bake for 50 mins - 1 hour 10 minutes - check at 50 mins, then 10 minute intervals.  Use skewer method to check for readiness.


Here's a link to some icing if you need your mud cake with icing...


Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Caramel mud cake. I'd never heard of it before but it's making my mouth water just looking at your photos. Thanks for sharing and adding a new cake idea to repertoire!

Clare said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Was the diet worth doing- i am still in limbo about starting it looks so hard!

Liz on August 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What temperature do you preheat the oven to?

Also, what was the original quantity of white chocolate?

Corrie on August 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum, I love caramel and also white choc mud cake. I use an AWW recipe which has a white chocolate ganache but might give this one a go.....looks sooooo good!

Corrie:)

Liss on August 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks everyone xxxx

Liz, the oven on 150.
The original recipe I have is 200g white chocolate, omit the milk :)

CamillaS on August 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love caramel mud cake so I'll be giving this a go for sure!

Kristin on August 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just had a piece of this... OM NOM NOM NOM!!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for the recipe. I am trying out caramel mud cakes for my wedding cake so I am eager to try this one out.

B


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015