Thursday, August 12

Guest Post - Cat shows us Cauliflower and Bacon Soup with Caramelised Garlic Loaf


Hello loverly Frills in the Hills Readers,

I'm Cat and I blog over at Wouldn't it be Loverly. When Liss put the call out to anyone who was interested in guest posting here I was all geeky and thrust my hand in the air very high like the type of primary school student I once was.

Food is a big deal in our house. I prioritise food over pretty much everything else except taking care of the Bebito (the nickname we have for our toddler. He'll be 2 next month) so I pop by here regularly for inspiration.

We have a rule of trying at least one new recipe a week. Often, it's more than one new recipe a week. My Mr and I started this tradition over 12 years ago when we first started living together. It's expanded both our repertoire and our palattes quite a lot. Additionally, I now have the impetus in feeding our Bebito the most natural and healthy ingredients as I possibly can, in making my own stock and where I was previously not at all bad in the kitchen I think I'm actually a pretty good cook thanks to all the practice!

This week's menu plan involved Liss' Comforting Cauliflower and Bacon Soup and the Caramelised Garlic Loaf. I'm mad about baking my own bread at the moment and there's nothing better than a yummy hearty soup on a cold winter's night.

At the outset I'll say both were supremely delish! My Mr is a bit of a food critic and really enjoyed both, as did the Bebito.

For copies of the recipes please visit Liss' original posts but here is a bit of an essay in pictures for you.

I made the bread first. I'm a bit of a hand kneader cos I like to give my arms a bit of a work out. ;) The one thing I didn't do well was spread the bread flat enough initially when pushing the roasted garlic in so when it was all rolled up the garlic all stayed at the top which wasn't so bad but it would have been better if the sweet little garlic-y morsels were strewn throughout. The Mr said he would even have liked more garlic so next time I might try a head and a half of garlic. I'll definitely be making this bread over and over again.




























I then made the soup. Unfortunately, a little "elf" ate a few of the bacon rashers when I wasn't looking so I didn't have anywhere near enough bacon so I substitued 2 of the rashers of bacon for a chorizo. The chorizo added a lovely smoky flavour that pure bacon wouldn't have so I quite rated the substitution. I was also a little "untraditional" and steamed my cauliflower and potato in the microwave. Lastly, I used the stick blender rather than the food processor to puree the soup cos that's the way I roll. I LOVED this soup and it was so quick and easy.




























All-in-all this was a really great, cost-effective and seasonal dinner. I'll definitely be making both recipes again! Thanks Liss, you really are an inspiration.

Lastly, a gratuitous shot of the Bebito, waiting for his dinner to be served up! And his verdict, "Mama, TASTY!" I couldn't have said it better myself.


Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015