Thursday, August 12

Smokey cheese and bacon quiche


You might have noticed I love quiche right?  Well part of the reason I love to make quiches is not only the process of making the pastry - it's therapy for me, I love it - I think it's a hang-over from my preschool days and playdough perhaps?

The other reasons are they are perfect to stash in the freezer for a yummy lunchtime treat - I regularly entertain with quiche for lunch or pull one out of the freezer when we've had a busy day.  Good in summer or winter.  I also love to create different tastes using different cheeses.  The type of cheese you use can take a quiche from OK to sensational.

I also like to put them in the lunch box, and slowly but surely I'm turning my hubby's head when it comes to quiche. He never was a fan but I think fresh homemade pastry with fabulous ingredients may win him over.

What's your favourite quiche?


Ingredients:
pastry:
225 gr plain flour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
100g cold diced butter
1 egg yolk
cold water


filling:
100g smoked cheese
100g short cut bacon, thickly diced
5 eggs
50ml cup cream
75ml milk
1/2 tsp pepper
few drops of liquid smoke*

*optional, available from David Jones or US food importers or an Australian version here


Method:
In a food processor, place all ingredients except water and process until all ingredients well combined.

Add water tsp by tsp until the mixture binds into a dough - the amount will depend on your brand of flour and the humidity.  I used about 5 tsp.

Remove dough, place in ziplock bag or in clingfilm and place in fridge for 30-40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

Roll out your dough and place into your greased quiche/pie tray.  


Place some baking paper over the top and cover with pie weights or dried beans or uncooked rice to fill.

Place in oven for 15 minutes, remove baking paper and weights/contents and then fill par-cooked pastry with cheese, then bacon.   In a jug combine eggs, liquid smoke, pepper, cream and milk, whisk well and pour over the top of cheese and bacon in quiche pan.  Place pan on baking tray and into the oven for a further 35-40 minutes.

Suitable to freeze for up to 2 months or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.

See you later today with the first of the new weekly series of guest posts!  Don't forget to email me if you're interested in doing one!
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Christie @ Fg and Cherry on August 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The liquid smoke makes it oh-so-fancy! :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015