Friday, August 13

What happened when the food nazi came to town...


Sure, I have a little issue with food that comes from a box, and those packet meals... but hey, eat what you like!

And sure, I focus on nutrition in my school lunches.  In fact, school lunches are a huge deal to me because I feel that it can affect how well your child learns at school.  I prefer the my kids' teachers spend their time teaching rather than dealing with sugared or additive-upped kids.  Not all kids react to sugar or additives, but I think having a blanket policy to ban chocolate/confectionery and fruit drinks (as opposed to juice) would benefit many students and teachers alike.  At times, I feel alone in this sentiment.

That said, my kids still eat 'junk' outside school hours - you can see me at Maccas lining up in the school holidays or on long road trips.  I think denying kids all together of 'treats' can enforce binge behaviours too, so finding a happy balance of food is a tricky business for most parents, including me.  I don't want my kids to feel like they are 'missing out on all the fun'.  We go to town for birthday parties, we sure do!

Does it really matter what goes in the lunchbox?  I know some parents would be happy just to have a lunchbox returned empty some days - if they have issues getting their kids to eat... it's hard to know what to do...

Are you considered a food nazi?  What do you think?
Print this post in friendly format

10 lovely comments:

Christie on August 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm definitely a lunchbox nazi, it's gotta be healthy and nutritious, but like you I allow treats at other times. The kids always have a treat on Friday night too. I'm always trying to find the right balance.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on August 13, 2010 at 7:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Seeing you and the girls and how they eat I think you've definitely got the right balance! :D

Super Sarah on August 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Nope, you are definitely not alone in this. Amy is at preschool two days a week and I am required to pack a lunchbox for her for both days plus I always do a Monday playgroup lunchbox too. Its a struggle to find nutricious and healthy snacks to make and pack and keep her interested. I completely agree about the restricting "treats" can lead to binge behaviour because this is what my childhood was about. My Mother kept our house free of all chips, chocolate, lollies and fizzy drinks due to her own food issues and now I have a whole wealth of my own issues which I am so desperate not to pass onto my daughters. We don't call food treats in our house, we talk about everyday food, occasional food, party food etc and I try and keep a balance between donuts for afternoon tea and fruit salad for dessert. I would love to hear more about your ideas for healthy lunchboxes etc...

Mishelle on August 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have been called overly anal as to what my children eat. I was told once just to chill and I have times when I can.

BUT at school - if they don't feed their minds they don't learn as well. I have tried to find a delicate balance between what they NEED to eat and what they WILL eat so that they EAT Something and don't bring everything back home as they claim they are starving!!

I have felt like I was alone in that most times. Our school bans chips/candy as well as nuts (due to an extreme allergy to it) so at Halloween/Easter it becomes a battle as I refuse to send the candy/treats in and they want to even when they know they aren't allowed to.

Good to know I am not really the only Mom fighting this battle!

M

Linda Woodrow on August 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Definitely. Agree totally. Everything you said! If 80% of the food you eat is fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, real oils etc, the rest is creating a healthy attitude, which is just as important as a healthy body and mind. I apply the same principle to the ethics of food - if most of it is local, unprocessed, unpackaged, I really don't want to feel like I should cringe leaving the supermarket with chocolate!

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) on August 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I completely agree. I'm very lucky as I have girls who adore vegies, so we've never had too much of a battle with food.

We have the general rule of Monday - Friday strictly healthy eating while on the weekend we relax it a little.

Kirsty on August 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You are not alone - at all.

I'm very strict about what I will and won't allow my little one to eat however, I practice what I preach. I make sure that he gets a bit of everything but everything is in moderation.

You want nuggets & chips? Sure but they'll be the home made ones that I made for you because I know what's in them and how they've been cooked and I’m happy for you to have the purchased ones because it’s cool to have a play on the playground.

You'd like a piece of cake? Not a problem as long as mummy can share it with you.

I'm very lucky though (or has it been consistent parenting?) because my master will try anything once and generally eats everything.

He has a well balanced diet but I firmly believe that if I didn't allow him to have those foods that people frown at me about (yes, I'm talking to you pasty lady who had a go at me the other week for allowing him to eat a vegetarian pasty) then when he's older he won't understand the importance of moderation and balance in your eating and everything else that you do in life.

It's tough but worth it and I think I owe him that much.

Phew!

Christie - Childhood 101 on August 14, 2010 at 9:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I find snacks the hardest, especially as a non-baker. Luckily Immy loves fruit but I always like to give her something with her fruit and apart from freshly popped popcorn, everything else seems to come from a packet - or clever Mums like you, Liss, bake it yourselves.

CREATIVE DISORGANIZATION on August 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OH WOW, agree..agree..Can I please give a copie of this to our school!!! Understand if not...But your spot on.
Cheers Nic

Kylie G on August 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I can be a lunchbox nazi because I'm a teacher, but it will be interesting to see how I handle being on the other side of the box. I'll let you know in a year or so when I have to pack food for child care!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015