Wednesday, May 11

Recipe: My totally adaptable apple crumble



As much as I'd love to whinge about the cold I'm not going to.  Because really, I quite secretly love it.  I've lived in the UK for some years and I lived in Canberra for some other years and quite frankly, it's really that  cold.  I am loving the sunshine on these cool days and I'm loving curling up on the couch with my laptop in front of trashy tv with my favourite wool blanket and maybe a few magazines to read.

The other things I love about the cool weather are casseroles, baking, and puddings, oh I love puddings.  Dessert believe it or not is not a regular occurrence at our house... but I love a pudding every now and again and my little frills go crazy for apple crumble.  I do mine with pears sometimes or even a few berries in there two if I have some.  

It isn't rocket science but I say get adventurous and add less or more of what you like - if you're using pears swap out the cinnamon for some ginger, add some dark chocolate chips with your pears too - that's absolutely delicious.    If you love pecans, add those to your crumble, just like this one I've added almonds... give it your own signature!


Ingredients:
2 cups sliced apples
50g butter
3 tb caster sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup toasted muesli
1 tb slivered almonds


Method:
Preheat your oven to 160 degrees

In a large souffle or small casserole dish, place your apples, and cut 20 grams of your butter in small diced bits and toss them through the apples.  Top with sugar and cinnamon.

In a separate bowl place your flour and add the remaining diced butter.  Rub it through roughly, with the tips of your fingers to make it like breadcrumbs.  Then add the muesli and mix it through.

Sprinkle it over the apples and then sprinkle the almonds over the top.

Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes on a low shelf. Serve warm with icecream or cream.

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on May 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmm This sounds too good.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hello. Just found you on Problogger forum. Lovely blog. Now following :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015