Tuesday, August 24

The journey back to us..


When faced with writing about travelling with kids for the Kidspot Top 50 bloggers I was torn.  I really wanted to tell this story, our story about why I felt we needed and would dearly love a week in Dunk Island.  But I also wanted to give the readers, you, something useful too.  Hence my last post - Holidaying with Kids - without losing your mind or life savings - the official entry - it fitted the entry criteria more exactly.

So I hope you'll indulge me here with my 'other' piece.  The piece that didn't quite make it as my official entry but the one I want to share with you anyway.  It might speak to you - either you're there, been there or even on your way there - the journey I share with you!

Thank you!
Liss xxx

____________________________________________________________
Hubby understands the importance of giving me time out for my mental health but doesn't take any for himself.  I'd love him to have a 'real' holiday.    One where he's not driving at least!  I can count on one hand the times we've been out together without children in the past six years!  I'm not complaining though - it's been a hectic, but wonderful, fulfilling in ways I never could dream of - and now we're on the cusp of the next chapter in our parenthood story.





But let's take a quick look at the story so far...

Almost seven years ago we started this crazy journey.   Hubby and I were married in the September and planned to honeymoon over December/January in New York.    Our plans soon changed.


One week after our perfect day we discovered we were headed for another destination.  The passports we would have stamped would not be those ones at the airport.  These passports were ones that lasted well beyond ten years.  We were on our parenting journey.

We decided at that point that a honeymoon whilst unwell with morning sickness was probably a frivilous use of our savings. Hubby's new job was not secure and soon I would need to leave mine so 'postponed' the honeymoon.  Our first child Eloise arrived the following June, and eighteen months later her little sisters Laura and Olivia blessed us with their arrival.

Two years of marriage and three children under two.  We were taking no scenic tours!  Non-stop to family of five.
My babies Laura and Olivia (3m) and big sister Eloise (21m)
The idea of a honeymoon at this point seemed ridiculous - it would have been more stressful than staying at home.  Hubby's leave is invariably taken in dribs and drabs to support the home - when I've been unwell or to visit our families who aren't nearby and of course for the crazy and un-relaxed Christmas period.  We love taking short trips where we can find time for us to spend time with our kids - allowing them (and us) to experience what this great planet has to offer us, so we do love to take time out, it's just not for long enough to actually settle in and relax....
Recent day trip to the snow - Eloise (6y) Olivia and Laura (4.5y)
Next year - our youngest girls are off to school and things will shift for us as a family.  I will be heading back to my career, we'll be more school centric and the time we spend together as a family will reduce significantly.  


I'd love to give this part of our lives, the first seven years of our marriage and our graduation from babies to toddlers to preschoolers to school-kids a last hoorah.   Good-bye nappies, bottles, Play School and prams.


Hello tuck-shop, weekend sports and independence.  Hello career again. Hello hubby.  Remember me?

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Corrie on August 24, 2010 at 5:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yep that's the story you should have posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have written my post on the one and only family holiday we took to japan - before i fell pregnant with twins because let's be honest who in their right mind wants to fly anywhere with 3 children under the age of 3 or 4 or even 5 when I think about it!

well said and totally understood here!

Corrie:)

Lily Mulholland on August 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think there are many who can relate to this post! Enjoy the next chapter!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015