Sunday, August 29

Sunday Baking Project: Cafe style banana bread



When we go out for coffee/afternoon tea we regularly buy the frills banana bread.  It's good to break up and share, a lot of the time it's the lesser of all evils when you are faced with choices of chocolate mud cake and caramel slice.

I have to tell you - this one is the real deal.  I can't stop raving about it!  I'm never having this at a cafe again if I can help it - it costs approx $5.00 a loaf to make (probably less actually) rather than than the $3.00 a slice I've been paying for it... I'm loving how easy it is to make too!

Personally I love it with toasted with butter, but a good friend of mine loves hers toasted with nutella... each to their own!.. What about you? Banana bread fan?  Toasted?  Butter? Honey? Peanut butter? Or is it...nutella?

Cafe Style Banana Bread
(adapted recipe from Donna Hay)

Ingredients


1 cup raw caster sugar (fine raw sugar - you can use regular but the raw gives it a nicer taste I think!)



1/4 cup brown sugar,
4-5 medium sized bananas
125g melted butter
3 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 3/4 cups self raising flour

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a food processor, place sugars, bananas, butter, eggs, cinnamon and sour cream.  


Process until smooth.

Add flour and process for a further 1 minute until silky smooth.









Place into a well-greased loaf tin and bake for 55 minutes - 1 hour 5 mins, check by using the skewer method.


Cool on tray.  When completely cooled, slice and store in an airtight container for 5 days or up to 2 months in the freezer, defrost 1 slice at a time.




Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Charmaine on August 29, 2010 at 7:29 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for sharing Liss. I am going to try this on the weekend.We love banana bread too.

CamillaS on August 29, 2010 at 9:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love banana bread... thinking about making some this afternoon now. I love it toasted with butter or plain. Yum!

Christie on August 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh I think I wanna come over for morning tea with the Frills! xx

Kristie on August 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I wonder if it would translate to gluten free might give it a go and get back to you... Sounds yum with the sour cream though!

Kristie on August 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh and just wondering .... what changes did you make to the Donna Hay recipe and why?

Liss on August 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Kristie!

The changes I made were:
* Using raw caster sugar instead of white - for the caramell-y taste, especially when the loaf is toasted.
* Addition of cinnamon - again personal preference, gives some depth to the taste.
* The amount of bananas - I added 1 more banana (on average, she uses 1 cup of banana, mine was more like 1.25 cups) for the moistness of the loaf, helps if it's a bit more moist for the toasting so it doesn't go too dry.

Kristie on August 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Brilliant.. I always add banana to my cakes... but have never tried a sour cream recipe before so am looking forward to it.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on August 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe is it wrong that I can drop a lot of cash on a bag but baulk at $3 per slice of banana bread? Like you I know how good it is home made (I've heard that banana flavouring is used in some cafe and commerical ones-urk) and how much cheaper it is too!

Mishelle on August 30, 2010 at 3:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a question - what if you don't have a food processor to make it in? I don't have am lg enough bowl in my food processor to make it in. Usually I make loaves and cakes with an electric mixer. How big a difference would this make?

M

Liss on August 30, 2010 at 6:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mishelle I think it would impact the consistency so what I would do is use the processor to mash up the bananas for about a minute until they are almost creamy - then add them to the creamed butter/sugar etc and add everything else. :)

Christine on July 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

wow i can't wait to try the recipe! Just a quick question - what size loaf tin shoul wi use, please?

Liss on August 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Christine Charmaine, use what you have, I used a standard 12 inch long one..


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015