Wednesday, August 18

You know you're a parent of school aged children when...


As you might know, my eldest frill Eloise started school this year, I've had a huge initiation into the 'ways of school' and my littlest frills Laura and Olivia starting school next year it's like our whole lifestyle has changed dramatically.  So I thought I'd summarise my experiences so far, in a lighthearted way for those of you there, and some of you on your way..

Add some !




You know you're a parent of school aged children when...
1.  No weekday morning would be complete without you been frustrated, annoyed or nagging (or all three) in some capacity.
2.  You have more pieces of paperwork in your 'to-do' file than you ever had at work.  And it seems to multiply.  Daily.
3.  Homework is something that seems like it's not really for the kids, but for you.
4.  You wonder where the hours in the day goes, and really it can't be 6 hours since drop off already?
5.  Lunchbox warfare is ever-present.  Either you struggle to get your kid to eat their lunch or you struggle to think of things to put in it, or have to listen to 'Timmy gets a lunch order/insane amounts of sugar every day, why can't I?'
6.  You leave the school some mornings wondering how the HECK Teachers do it - 30 x 5 year olds doesn't seem like my idea of fun.
7.  All that 'free-time' you thought you'd have when you sent the kids to school is taken up with volunteering and doing stuff AT school.
8.  You realise just how vast the parenting approach is.
9.  You do a quick mental calculation and summise those school uniform manufacturers are making an absolute killing for what you pay for school uniforms - just to replace the 2,300,031 hats that your child has lost in one has made a dent in your superannuation.
10. You meet other parents that you form wonderful friendships with!
Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

days are no longer known as monday tuesday etc... they are news day, library day, morning tea roster day, lunch order day blah blah!

and breaking out in random ditty songs esp when asking waht day of the week is or what the weather is like!

Gemma xx

Mom To A Preschooler on August 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ever since my daughter started going to preschool, my days have been busier than ever. I rush to get her to school on time, then I rush back home to get some work done. When she comes back, I get so busy tutoring her and helping her homework. I love weekends! lol!

ginchyworld on August 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I get 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 and we've not even hit school yet. 1 is the worst, I hate 1, particularly when the morning starts at 5am.

Ack, I don't know how we're going to fit homework in, but at least we've not got to worry about school uniform for Bella's first year.

Danielle on August 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Your child's social calendar suddenly becomes more exciting than your own (school disco, birthday parties, mufti dress-ups).

Mishelle on August 19, 2010 at 1:09 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I would just once - get through breakfast without begging, threatening or pleading.

Just once.

M

MaryJ said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for this timely post, made me feel normal again. Motherhood has turned me into a nag.

Moi said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Your heart breaks when you realise that you can't protect your five year old from hurts at school.

You appreciate just how amazing it is that children learn to read.

You take great pleasure in hearing about every little piece of their day that they (grudgingly) share with you.

Can I also say, as someone who has taught Kindy, teaching a Kindy child is soooo much easier than parenting one!

Frances Jones on October 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

When you get back from dropping the kids off at 9.15 and it feels like you've lived an entire day already, there's been so much going on in the previous couple of hours.

Mishelle on October 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I would LOVE to get through one morning without saying "Look, you ASKED for it, I MADE it please EAT it!"

M


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015