Thursday, August 19

Lamb pot roast... melts in your mouth - promise!


You know I wouldn't lie to you right?

Who doesn't like a roast? (OK vegetarians, maybe you..) but to us meat-loving carnivores a roast is the holy grail of meat-eating.  I love a roast lamb and I'm so converted to the pot roast after reviewing and road testing Pioneer Woman's perfect beef pot roast.

This time I thought I'd have a go at doing lamb and I'm glad I wrote it down because I really want to replicate it again, and luckily now I (and you..) can!  Slow cooked lamb just cannot be beaten, I loved the stuffed one I did for Mothers day for kidspot too, but that one's a little more fiddly..

Ok, enough waffling, onto this one!


Ingredients:
1.8kg lamb roast (I used shoulder, but anything is good as long as it fits in an oven proof pot with lid)
3 medium carrots cut into 1 inch lengths
2 medium onions, cut into 1/8ths
3 stalks celery cut into 1inch lengths
1/2 cup red wine
300 ml beef stock
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 stalks continental parsley
1 stalk rosemary
2 stalks mint

Method:
With a mortar and pestle place garlic, parsley, rosemary and mint, pound until it has released all flavours (about 1 minute) and set aside.

Add onions, celery and carrot to the pan with a little olive oil  in your oven proof dish and stir regularly until the onion has become transparent.  Remove from dish.

Preheat oven to 140 degrees c

Score your lamb and place in the pot, brown on both sides and remove from the pan.

Put your stock, wine and mustard in a jug and then pour in into the stockpot.

Stir around and pick up little bits of burned off meat/veg off the bottom  of the pan with a spoon - basically deglaze it for about 3 minutes.

Return the lamb, the vegetables and then with a spoon place the ingredients of the mortar and pestle on the top of lamb.  Place in oven for 3 hours (check after 2)

Carve and serve with the vegetables and roast pumpkin/potato.


Reserve the stock from the pan and add 2 tb cornflour mixed with 2 tb water, mixed into a paste.  Stir well over medium heat with a whisk until it thickens - yummy gravy!


Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Jamie on August 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Perfect timing, Liss.
My turn to cook tonight. I opened negotiations by saying "I think it's going to be lamb."
"Yum. What kind?"
"Not sure. Roast probably, haven't had that in ages. But something different, but I need some comfort food."

I'm going to do it just like you've done it here. Looks delish!

Talia on August 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks yummy!! Question- when you score the lamb, do you do that in a frying pan? I never do it to any meals like this because I can't stand the idea of making another thing to wash up! Any way around it??

Cooking Gallery on August 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have heard about The Pioneer Woman's cookbook a lot of times, now you have convinced me to buy her book!

Jamie on August 19, 2010 at 7:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ok, the dinner report, Liss. YUM!

While I followed your recipe faithfully (mostly), for the record, I added chunks of potato to the pot about an hour before the end, and a whole bag-full of frozen broad beans (blanched in hot water first with the outer skins discarded, just leaving the inner beans) about 15 minutes before the end. Didn't worry about the gravy thing. Then it became a one-pot wonder. It was just like eating at Diethnes, downstairs in Pitt Street in the city!

Thanks very much. New family favourite!

Kristin on August 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm so making this next weekend! Yummmm!

Liss on August 26, 2010 at 7:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Talia - I use the pot on the stove that I'm going to put the pot roast in - no extra washing up!

Jamie - so glad you loved it, the recipe is a keeper - I'm making it again and soon though I think I'll use a bigger piece of lamb because we had NO leftovers and I love the leftovers on a sandwich the next day!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015