Monday, August 16

My new addiction: Cookie press cookies - 5 dozen in 40 minutes!



My Mum used to have one of these when I was I think pre-teen and it would invariably come out at Christmas time.  I don't remember actually using it, but I remember the cookies and I remember the press.  On Saturday I picked one up in Canberra for $20 I thought I'd give it a go... and I wasn't prepared for the fun that I could have!  It's like having a new toy.  You can make heaps of cookies in no time!

I found the one I got at Peters of Kensington for $18
or a Kaiser one from cooks.com for US$17

I think this press is PERFECT when you need to make cookies in a hurry.  You know, when you realise at 9pm you have nothing for the cake stall or the lunchbox, or Nana's coming for a visit.  Unlike many cookie doughs, it doesn't need chilling or rolling and you can pump them out quite quickly too, plus they don't take long to bake.

These are widely known as 'spritz cookies' and would impress any Nanna I'm sure and I think I'm going to experiment with flavours, colours and decorations and make some cute ones as gifts too!  The taste is like a light fluffy shortbread.


Ingredients:
190g butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp lemon essence (or almond/vanilla what ever you feel like!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 cups plain flour


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c (fan) (200 no fan)
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
Add egg yolk and essence/colour and whip into thoroughly.

Lastly add the baking powder and plain flour and mix well.  It should form a soft dough.

Fix the top part of the cookie press together and ensure the 'pusher' (i.e. the disc that pushes the dough down is at the highest setting so you can fit as much dough as possible.  Fix your template disk in and screw the bottom on.

Click a few times until the dough is compacted in the tube and full biscuit shape comes out.
You don't need to grease your baking trays,there's enough butter in the dough, turn the press onto the tray and do a full squeeze of the handle (i.e. as hard as you can)
Continue until you tray is done, refill as necessary.

Place in the oven for 10 minutes and remove, cool on tray for 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a rack or plate.

Store in airtight container up to 1 week or 2 months in airtight container/bag in freezer.
Print this post in friendly format

14 lovely comments:

Katy on August 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yes, I love these! We made some similar a few weeks ago. I like to sprinkle them with caster sugar for the topping.

Corrie on August 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've always thought these were a big gadgety but you've changed my mind! I soooo need one! And since i'm having a big clear out of the kitchen cupboards before baby arrives I have a perfect excuse to restock!

corrie:)

Penelope on August 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I"m with Corrie I've always thought they were a bit gadgety but if Liss (you) has it, Liss (me) wants it too ROFL!!!

(Lucky you know I'm not a stalker huh)

Kylie G on August 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love this! I am a big fan of gadgets, and this one actually looks really good.
Is it easy to clean?

Liss on August 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yeah Kylie! Comes apart in 3 pieces easily! Super easy to clean. I'm SO converted! lol.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on August 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These are great for cookies I agree (but not so good for icing :P ). I learnt that the hard way lol xxx

Unknown on August 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love my cookie press! The first time I used it I knocked out about 80 cookies from one batch of dough!
There is nothing like a mountain of tiny cookies to make me happy.

Fig and Cherry on August 16, 2010 at 2:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Coolness!

Kat on August 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have seen these in so many shops and never understood how it works. Now I want one! They look so cool. The reason I hardly ever make cookies is cause they take ages and I am an instant gratification type of girl. I definately need one of these!

Amy @ cookbookmaniac on August 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOL. I have the same cookie press and also bought it from Peters of Kensington! I though it was kinda painful to use. Definitely not good for icing! hehe. Your cookies look heaps better than mine :)

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) on August 17, 2010 at 9:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh they look very yummy!! Hmmm must cook some biccies very soon! x

Running Thread on August 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've always wondered if those gadget thingys work ...
And they look like they work pretty good !

Steph@LittlePotBelly on August 20, 2010 at 11:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aw, how awesome! I'd play with it all day if only I have people to off-load the cookies I would end up with.

Diminishing Lucy on April 1, 2011 at 11:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My Mum had one of these - and strangely enough I spotted them in General Trader today, but got distracted.

I am a cake stall Mummy. In fact, I realise, I am the only cake stall Mummy at school.

So am going to invest in one...


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015