Saturday, August 28

Party Palooza #5 - Layered birthday cake - Guest post by Danielle from Danimezza!


Hello!


Danielle is a self-confessed packet mix queen.  But like a lot of Mums when her baby approached his first birthday she felt it was time to take that rite of passage - make the cake from scratch!  (I remember is well!)  


Danielle shows us in this guest post how to make this very impressive layered cake!


Danielle writes:



I've admitted on my blog that I'm a glorified cake mix queen, I love me some Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake (I even made a 2 tier wedding cake using it) but for Aidan's birthday I wanted to add some homemade love.

Donna Hay is one of my main go-to girls when it comes to recipes (besides Liss of course!)  and it didn't take much to be inspired by her latest Kids Annual Issue. I decided to make her "Basic Melt and Mix Vanilla and Chocolate Cake".


Ingredients
Cake
2 1/2 cups (375g) plain flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
1 3/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
250g butter, melted
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted

Buttercream Frosting
4 cups icing sugar
100g butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk


Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degrees.

Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in a large bowl and mix until well combined. I separated the mix into two bowls, 1/3 in one bowl (add 1 teaspoon blue food die) 2/3 in the other, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa.

Pour batter into lightly greased and lined round cake tins. (I also use bake even strips, they really are magic and help keep the layers of the cake an even height). 

Bake cakes in preheated oven for 25 minutes (blue cake) and 45 (chocolate cake) or until cooked through. Cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. 

Mix the butter, milk and icing sugar together to make frosting.

Cut the chocolate cake into 2 layers and lay the first layer on a platter.

Cover first layer with frosting and lay the blue cake on it then cover that with frosting and place the last layer of chocolate cake on top.

Now you're ready to do the crumb layer, which is just a thin coat of frosting to keep those annoying bits of cake crumb ruining your pristine finish. I usually let it set in the fridge for a few minutes then I cover the whole cake in frosting.

I chose to use the smallest drop of blue food dye in the frosting so it matched the blue layer of cake.

Once the cake was fully frosted I covered the it with little white chocolate buttons from Aldi and wrote "Happy Birthday Aidan" with a tube of white chocolate fudge (You can get the fudge tube in the cake aisle at the supermarket. The slender candles are from BigW and the number 1 candle from spotlight in the craft aisle)
Voila! Here is the masterpiece!

And Master Aidan enjoying it!

I know I'll have requests for choo-choo train and Spiderman cakes in the future but right now I'm proud of my efforts and everyone at his party gave the cake rave reviews... especially the birthday boy!


Thanks so much Danielle!  Guys head over to DaniMezza to catch up on more of Danielle's daily adventures including Aidan's birthday pics and official birthday report!
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Jaime on August 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The cake looks fantastic!

Kelly on August 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I used the same donna hay recipe to make my son's cake, it so easy and tastes fantastic. Love the way you decorated it Danielle it looks amazing.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015