Monday, February 27

How to make Ginger Snaps



I think in life you're a ginger person or you're not.   For me definitely yes.  I love ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, all the aromatic spices.   It's no secret to friends of mine that gingerbread and it's descendants liebkuchen and Taai Taai are high up on the list of my favourite biscuits/cookies.

When I buy cookies on a rare occasion it will always be the gingersnaps.  The really hard ones.  The ones that you nearly have to break a tooth to bite off a chunk or leave into your mouth until they go soggy.    I became quite addicted to them when I was pregnant and I still do this day cannot replicate them.  I'm guessing it's a good lot of molasses and sugar and I'd just rather be in denial I think about how much....

But these gave me a much needed ginger hit when I had tonsillitis recently.  They arent totally chewy but they have a spongy centre and deliver just the right amount of sweetness for me.  Good for lunchboxes too.

Ingredients:
2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp allspice
1 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
175g butter, at room temperature
1 large egg (or 2 small ones)
1/4 cup treacle

Method
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

In a bowl mix flour, sugar, bicarb and spices.  Mix well.

Add butter, treacle and egg/s.  Now I realise it doesn't see like there's enough liquid but bare with me...

It makes a good dough in no time when you mix it together.  If by any chance you have thirsty flour, add a teaspoon or two of milk.

Roll the bits of dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll or dip into a bit of extra caster sugar

Place onto a greased tray and push down a little to flatten.

Bake for 15-18 minutes.   Leave to cool on tray for 5 minutes before transferring into your mouth onto a plate until completely cool.  Store in freezer in ziplock bag for up to 2 months or in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

Source: recipe adapted from http://www.applepiepatispate.com/
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

em on February 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My 5 year old loves ginger biscuits this recipe looks a little different to mine definately going to try it

Unknown on March 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

you posted this just for me didnt you? I love gingerbread! cant wait to try this out!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015