Friday, August 20

Frugal Fast Food: Thai fish cakes



I really cannot fathom why I haven't tried to make these before.  Oh yes, I know.  It's because they taste super complicated, even look super complicated.  Truth is they are truly easy as anything.   What I can't fathom now is why I paid $2 a piece for these.  Anyone?

This takes under 30 minutes to prepare from zilch to mouth - and I can see myself making quite a few.  They will definitely feature at a get-together I'm having next month for a girls' night in..  I just hope I don't eat them all before everyone arrives.....

I used perch, but you can use any white boneless fish - so potentially these could be cheaper than my batch but I worked out for 19 fish cakes it cost me about $13 including the sauce.  At my local thai place it's $6.50 for 3..  If I was to buy 19 fishcakes with sauce there it would cost me about $41.60.  Whoah.


adapted from recipe from www.taste.com.au


Ingredients
500g skinless and boneless white fish fillets (I used perch)
2 tb red curry paste
2 tb fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 egg
12 green beans, finely chopped
10 dried kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
oil for frying


Method:
In a food processor combine fish, curry paste, fish sauce, sugar and egg.

Process for about 1 minute.  Stir in green beans and kaffir lime leaves - until well combined.


Roll into balls about the size of a golf ball and flatten down.  Set aside.

Heat your oil until boiling (drop a little bit of bean in and if it sizzles it's ready) and then drop in your fish cakes one by one (I did four at a time but it's up to you depending how big your work/frypan/saucepan is) and fry for about 1.5 - 2 minutes, turn over and fry for a further 1 minute.   Drain on kitchen paper.


Serve with sauce (recipe here) or sweet chilli sauce if you can't be bothered!
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Josiejo said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hmmm, might have to pop off to the shops very soon me thinks!!
Yummo

Rebekah on August 20, 2010 at 10:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh YUM YUM YUM!!

Fish cakes are my fav.

Do you think they'd be just as nice dry friend in a frypan with a little spray of olive oil ??

Josiejo said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ok, well it's clear I suck as a cook. I blitzed for maybe 20 seconds and it came out like mush. I added some flour but they were still mush.
:(
Oh and I didn't read the recipe properly cause i used fresh lime leaves, not dried.
D'oh!
Now to hope hubby eats them anyway ....


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015