Thursday, August 26

Simple decadence - chicken pot roast


I'm a bit pot-roast crazy at the moment aren't I?  I've never tried it with a chicken and I'm surprised at how well it turned out - this is even less work than the usual roast chicken (i.e. stuff, bung it in the oven, make gravy etc) because there was no peeling of vegetables, no making gravy.  It all happens for you.  I expected leftovers with this one, but it was not to be, hubby and the kids had 2nd helpings!


Ingredients:
Chicken (I used a Lilydale size 18 chicken)
2 bread rolls
2 tb chopped fresh or 1 tb dried sage
1 tb chopped fresh or 2 tsp dried parsley
125g salted butter
2 large brown onions, peeled and halved
1 leek, chopped in 1 inch pieces
2 medium carrots, chopped in 1 inch pieces
5-6 small new potatoes, cut in half
1/2 cup white wine
2 bay leaves
Few sprigs thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
Pepper



Method:
Find a pot with a lid that you chicken fits in comfortably.
Preheat oven to 170 degrees c

In a food processor process bread rolls until becomes breadcrumbs.  Add 1/2 chopped onion, sage, a good lashing of pepper and 80g of the butter.  Process until sticks together.


Stuff into cavity of chicken and place in pot.

Separate the skin from meat on the breast of the chicken with your fingers - Place 30 grams of butter under the surface of the skin.  Rub remaining butter on top of your chicken.

Place cut vegetables and bay leaves around the chicken and then pour the wine over the top, and 3/4 cup of water.  Lastly sprinkle thyme on top of chicken and put lid on, place in oven.

After two hours take the lid off and return to oven for 25 minutes to crisp up.

Serve!  The self-made gravy will be on the bottom of your pot - and the chicken is very soft and the vegetables take on the wonderful flavour of the gravy.  Serve with some steamed beans or greens of your choice.
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

BabyMac on August 26, 2010 at 6:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Um...YUM. I have my mother in law coming over for dinner tonight and I was going to do a roast chicken...instead THIS will get a run. Thanks Liss!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhh, wish I'd seen your site before I made the roast chicken for supper! This looks better!

I'll definitely try it next time.

M


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015