Thursday, August 5

Alternatives to cupcakes: Golden syrup cake people!


How cute are these?  Last week when my order arrived from Mini Gourmets (I know, it's like I work for them, I don't - promise!) I got a little gift from Natalie to say thank you for helping her with her launch. (My pleasure!) it was these gorgeous little people tins!

Now you might think they are a Christmas thing but I beg to differ.  I think these are a fabulous alternative to a cupcake  - so much more fun for the kids right?  Let your kids decorate them with icing and smarties, sprinkles, different coloured icing - you could go all out!  I've made mine plain for the kids to do it today.

I've made a lovely golden sryup cake, but you can make any you like.


Golden Syrup little people  Makes 27


Ingredients
250g golden syrup
225g butter
100g brown sugar
3 large eggs
300g self raising flour


Method:
In a saucepan over medium heat combine butter, golden syrup and sugar.  When butter has melted and sugar has completely dissolved (about 5 minutes) remove from heat and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.

When cool, whisk in the eggs.

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees c

Mix the contents of the saucepan into the flour.  Mix well.

Pour into well greased pans (I sprayed mine with canola oil) and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes.

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Mishelle on August 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm these look good!! I think I am going to try this tomorrow! Yummy!

M

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on August 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aww how cute! And so easy popping them in a tin! :o

Kat on August 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

do you think these would work as cupcakes? What sort of icing would you put on them? I am making lemon cupcakes tonight for a bbq tomorrow and wanted to make another type as well. The lemon ones will have cream cheese icing so if I could use the same icing that would be awesome!

Liss on August 7, 2010 at 9:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Absolutely you could!

For icing I would do chocolate! Yum! Melt 250g chocolate and stir in a a 1/4 cup cream... leave to cool for a little bit (say 15 minutes) then spread on with a knife.. yum!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015