Tuesday, October 15

Diet Coke and I broke up





I have told you a few times about my love for Diet Coke.   I guess I became addicted about 12 years ago when working 18 hour days during super-hyped go-lives on projects... I used to pick up a diet coke on my way to work every day and that 600ml would last me all day.

When I fell pregnant with Eloise, I cut it back a bit because the taste buds wanted Vanilla Milkshakes, but I still had a few a week, I continued to drink it and then when my twins arrived and I was living on a few hours sleep each night for months on end, I stepped it up to a litre or sometimes more a day.  Bad, bad bad.  I did eventually cut back but didn't go a day without the diet coke and I always made sure I had some in reserve.

I don't like being addicted to anything but I recognised this was a habit that I found hard to break... then late last year I got a bad bout of gastro in Manila.  So bad I couldn't leave the hotel room and at one point I thought I wouldn't be able to fly home.  During that the hotel doctor advised against any caffeine or soft drinks because they sped up digestion and without thought I just did what the doctor said because I wanted to go home.

After some good drugs which enabled me to fly, it took me about 2 weeks to get over the gastro completely and after that I 'treated myself' to a Diet Coke - and didn't enjoy the taste anymore.  This was strange because that's why I drank coke vs diet coke - the taste - but any cola tasted vile, so I gave it up.  I had one last glass last Christmas and confirmed I didn't like it anymore and then vowed not to drink it again... people who have known me for years can't believe it - and neither can I really.

There are times when I'm tired or stressed I think 'hmm, I'd like a Diet Coke' but then I think about how I hadn't enjoyed the last ones I had and decide against it in favour of a cup of tea or a glass of water.  I still manage to work long hours, take way too many red-eye flights and survive without it, which I think is the best part of all.

Now I don't recommend everyone gets food poisoning or gastro to kick a Diet Coke habit, but I have to say as sick as I was, I'm grateful!  I think once you go without it for a period, it tastes different perhaps.

Have you kicked a bad habit?  Or want to?
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Unknown on October 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I quit sugar, and loved it, until I fell pregnant again. We're back to being close buddies but I want to let it go again. Felt SO much better without it!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015