Friday, July 2

Ultimate winter treat: Golden syrup dumplings





Whoever invented these I hope they got a Nobel Peace Prize or something equally prestigious because quite honestly these dumplings could end wars. It's all too easy to make and one of those things that when you first put it in your mouth, your eyes close and you are taken away to somewhere blissful, warm and lovely.

So whilst you're snuggling in this weekend, give these a whirl, if it be for the first (and definitely not the last) time or a return to an old friend. Enjoy!

I have adapted the recipe from One-pot cooking by Super Food Ideas.

Ingredients:
Dumplings
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
50 g cold butter
1/3 cup golden syrup
1/3 cup milk

Syrup
30g butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup golden syrup
2 tb lemon juice


Method:
In a small bowl mix the milk and golden syrup together.

In a food processor add flour, butter and blitz until all the butter is well combined into the flour - it should resemble wet sand. gradually add the milk and golden syrup to the flour and whizz until it becomes a dough.


Remove dough from food processor and roll into balls about the size of a ping-pong ball.

In a saucepan add all ingredients together ad bring to a steady boil....

...then turn down to a steady low simmer..

Add the dumplings, giving enough room for them to expand about 20% and cook for 15-20 minutes. I did mine in 2 batches in a 20cm saucepan - you may like to do it all at once in larger saucepan or frypan.

The sauce will thicken into a syrup during cooking time.

Serve with icecream or cream, sprinkle with cinnamon if you like... I just like them plain.


Print this post in friendly format

18 lovely comments:

Elizabeth said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, if only golden syrup wasn't so expensive over here...

These bring back lots of good memories from when I was a Brownie/Girl Guide.

PinkPatentMaryJanes on July 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Liss, these are my all-time favourite pudding. I've searched for the recipe that my mum had written in the back of her Commonsense Cookery Book but haven't found one featuring the right ingredients {it's got to be golden syrup}. These are being served up in my home tonight - thank you!!!

CamillaS on July 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've been meaning to make these for ages, this weekend might be the one!

Nisha on July 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Excellent!! I have a bottle of GS sitting in the cupboard just waiting for this. The anzac cookies can wait!

Photography on July 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

YUMMO!! :-) thanks for the post! Tummy's rumbling. Feel free to visit me :-)

Corrie on July 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhhhhh I am loving that book! I just made the potato and leek soup from the book and it tasted richer than mine so I am very happy to own it!

yummo! now why oh why did retro daddy start tony ferguson! I'll have to eat that with the kids and finish it all off!

yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corrie:)

Barbara on July 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh I love these. Haven't made them in years. But my son borrowed my recipe and made some recently.

Ally {mtm} on July 2, 2010 at 9:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you are the BEST!

Sarah @ For the Love of Food on July 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think this was the first sweet dessert and possibly the first dish I ever made (watched over by big sister). I can't count the number of times I made it but haven't made them for more than a decade!

This reminds me to make them again as much for the food memory as the wonderful eating :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have just made the perfect ice cream to go with these. Now to find time to make them... ;)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks like the most delicious winter treat! yum!

Deb on May 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

brown sugar?

Liss on May 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@DebYes, brown sugar :)

Deb on May 10, 2011 at 7:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

epic fail!!!! it burnt and the syrup turned to toffee!

:(

Liss on May 10, 2011 at 7:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Deboh no, what kind of stove do you have? If you feel inclined to try again - keep the stove on low and let it slowly simmer/bubble but not boil.

Oh Deb :( Can you salvage any of it with icecream?

Deb on May 10, 2011 at 7:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

the dumpling part was great, and ice cream saved it... but the cleaning of the pot... argh!!!!

Liss on May 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@DebFill it 1/2 way with water and dishwashing liquid and bring to a boil. Leave overnight, it should be easy to clean in the morning :)

Deb on May 10, 2011 at 7:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

you are awesome liss! :))


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015