Wednesday, July 7

And there I thought I knew what the phone ringing meant...


Has anyone else got this 'issue' or is it just me?

I used to think I understand what a phone ringing meant.  It meant  'pick it up, someone's calling you'.

No. It doesn't apparently.  It means something else if you are a child in my house.

It means you must have Mummy's attention NOW.  You must have something super-dooper-urgent-can't-wait-another-second-to-discuss.

It also means at times to scatter like cockroaches to a light switching on, scattering to go places, touch things, that you know Mummy might be (Ok WILL be) annoyed about because they are off limits.  Like for example, helping yourself to the pantry, or going outside with your pajamas on when it's 2 degrees outside to 'ride your bike'.

Yes.

So to everyone who calls me in the day prior to 6.30pm at night - if I seem a little distracted or our phone calls are abruptly called to an end, it's nothing personal - my children don't understand what the phone is for.  Yet.

I'd say in about 10 years I may get my revenge when they are constantly on the phone.  I might take that opportunity to rifle through school bags, through rooms, reclaim or throw out those items of clothing that I can't bear or make them eat healthy food.  Any other ideas to add to the list?

Can't wait... revenge is sweet!
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Nisha on July 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My kids have developed a Pavlovian response to the phone ringing- they must have an intense and extremely loud emotional break down about something trivial (i.e. uneven sock heights, zipper on jumper is 1.754cms too high/low, brother ate last biscuit, hand soap too bubbly etc).

I try to shut myself into various rooms but they always find me. Which is a joke because when we play hide and seek they give up immediatley after counting to 10...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOL at the scatter like cockroaches reference (although I've never seen cockroaches that adorable ever). And yes I've been there on the phone with you and heard that absolutely urgency in which they just need to have your attention! :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015