Wednesday, July 21

Gluten-free Lemon Myrtle Friands



Now I know most you will be thinking 'oh yeah... lemon myrtle spice... got a big bucket of THAT... not.' but read on.  I'm not expecting you to go out and buy some - but it's delicious if you have some OR you could just substitute with some lemon zest.

How I came to have a truckload of lemon myrtle spice?

We picked up some on our trip to my Aunt's place last year.  She lives on a property with a macadamia orchard and lemon myrtle grove.   We went to Lennox Head markets and picked up some spice and upon returning home realised our error.  The spice jar was just ground up dried lemon myrtle leaves.  Leaves we could see as far as the eye could gaze.  D'oh!   

My aunt on our departure offered us some more leaves to make our own spice, just walked over to a branch with about 200 leaves and pulled it off and put it in the back of the car.   It's all we could smell all the way home.  Delicious.


Ingredients:
180g butter, melted
200g icing sugar, sifted (CSR's is gluten free)
60g gluten free flour,sifted
120g almond meal
5 egg whites
1 teaspoon lemon myrtle spice*

*substitute this with zest of one lemon if you don't have :)



Method:
Preheat oven to 200°C.

Grease a friand tray with some of the melted butter (use a cupcake tray if you do not have one).

Place icing sugar and flour in a mixing bowl, add almond meal and stir through with a fork.

In a separate small bowl, beat egg whites with a fork, then add the dry ingredients in the other bowl to the mix. Combine using a fork and then add the lemon myrtle spice (or lemon zest). Mix well.


Spoon the mixture into the tin until each mould is 3/4 full.

Place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the tray 180 degrees (so the part of the tin that faced the front of the oven now faces the back) and bake for a futher 5-10 minutes until golden on top.

Cool, and dust with icing sugar to serve.

I also love these with lime and raspberries.  Use lime zest and drop two frozen raspeberries in each mould before placing in oven.
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Corrie on July 21, 2010 at 7:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohh my mum loves friands and loves gluten free! this is a winner. She even bought me the proper baking tray so I could make them for her - so I have no excuses now - just need lemon myrtle though!

Sarah @ For the Love of Food on July 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Im building up to trying friands (my excuse was that I didn't have the right tin but now I know I can use my trusty muffin tin). This recipe looks delicious. I've never cooked with lemon myrtle but I love anything with lemon!

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock on July 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh thanks for this!
I'm always on the hunt for gluten-free recipes...and this looks super tasty!
Thank you :)

gertrude on November 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just about to try these. When should I add the melted butter?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015