Thursday, July 15

Slowcooker Recipe: Chicken Noodle Soup


I must have known.
Or I jinxed myself.

Last Saturday I asked you all what you craved when you were ill, and many people like me, said chicken soup.  Well come Tuesday night I had the beginnings of a cold - so lucky I had made a batch on Monday eh?

It's a 'bung-it-together-and-let-the-slow-cooker-do-the-work' jobby.  Just what the doctor ordered don't you think?  The secret to making this an 'okay' soup to a 'brilliant' soup is the seasoning.  Get the right amount of pepper and salt and it's a bowl of recuperation.  Otherwise it would be a bit bland.  I add it to the pot but also taste it in the bowl.


Ingredients:
1 whole 1.4 kg chicken
2.5 litres water (or 10 cups)
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 stalks parsley, finely chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
200g thin spaghetti (dried)
Salt
Pepper


Method:
Place chicken, water, celery, parsley, carrots and 1tsp of pepper and 1 tsp salt in the slowcooker.  Cook on low for 7 hours.

Take out the chicken carcass and you will easily be able to peel off the chicken meat.  Return that to the cooker and discard bones/skin etc. Then add raw spaghetti for last hour.  Check for seasoning before serving.

Serve with bread (ours served with french baguette)
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Sarah @ For the Love of Food on July 15, 2010 at 9:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

aaahh just what the doctor ordered :) Hope you feel better soon.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015