Wednesday, July 28

Gluten-free Jam tarts


Oh man.  This one was a journey.  I know there's a good few of you who either are gluten intolerant or regularly cook for people who are.  When I went to the Good Food and Wine Show a few weeks ago, I recognised the Spring Gully stand from the Worcestershire sauce.  I was given a sample some time ago and was converted because their gluten free version is not so salty, just tasty.

The lovely girls at the stand were kind enough to give me two jars of gluten free jam.  I know, who knew there was gluten in jam right?  I make mine but if you buy jam you might not realise that it's not only pectin that makes your jam/conserve thick....

Anyways, to make the most of this lovely boysenberry and honey jam I thought I'd give gluten free pastry a go.  Der-dowww............  fail first go.  I used gluten free bread flour.  It smelt like seaweed which you can imagine was not entirely appetising.

This one though is a go-er.  It's just the right amount of crumbly - yummy.


Ingredients:
250g (1/2 box) of Organ Gluten free plain flour
80g icing sugar
110g butter, cold, diced
2 egg yolks
water, as needed
3/4 jar Spring Gully gluten free jam


Method:
In a food processor add the flour and icing sugar.  Add butter and process until resembles breadcrumbs (about 40sec-1 min)

Add egg yolks and continue to process and add water a tsp at a time until the mix comes together in one big ball.

Remove, place in a ziplock bag and into the refrigerator for an hour.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees c.

Sprinkle gluten free flour onto a surface and roll out your dough.  I found this pastry can stick very easily and goes soft very quickly, so work quickly and make sure you use a good sprinkling of flour underneath before you roll it out.  Cut out and placed onto your creased tart tray.

Fill with a heaped teaspoon of jam and then add a shape of your choice! (love my able assistants?)



Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes.  Allow to cool in the tray, or they will crumble! (As I found out, look at the 'g' ;)
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Kristy on July 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Is this the first time you've used the gluten free flour?

I find using the white wings actually comes out less crumbly than the orgran flour :)

The tarts sound yummy though, hubby tried pastry the other night for the first time to make a pie, turned out yummy, but yes slightly crumbly, due to the extremely fine nature of the GF flour I guess :)

Cottees Jam doesn't have gluten in it either, I'm guessing the others have glucose syrup (from wheat)in them, but that doesn't actually contain any gluten as it's so processed that there is no wheat left, same with caramel :)

nellbe on July 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss - you are a champ! Thanks for trying gluten free recipes out. There are a few different types of gluten free jam around, just check the ingredients.

Kristy I never knew that about white wings, thanks for the tip, Orgran is cheaper so thats why I use it. I actuall react to the wheat in glucose syrup so I cannot have the glucose syrup from wheat in anything. I know alot of coeliacs who are the same.

Corrie on July 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh they look so pretty like that!

thanks for having us over today, keira can't stop talking about your gorgeous girls so we'll be up again soon

corrie:)

Liss on July 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Pleasure AND I didn't even get to walk you through photoshop! Call me OK? xx

Amie on July 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh yummo. we are just entering the world of gluten free. it can be quite daunting. i never knew that about jam. another thing to be careful of i guess.
will be trying these out next week.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015