Tuesday, July 20

Zucchini and bacon cake


A few of you may be familiar with this one - it's commonly served as 'Zucchini slice' but I kinda prefer it like this.  I put a little extra bacon in it and some cayenne and serve it in wedges - feels more like a meal to me.

The secret to getting this to turn out perfectly is how well to drain your zucchini. Don't drain the excess moisture out, you end up with slop.  I learned this the hard way, let me save you the pain.

I generally will make a few of these at a time and freeze one, this time I didn't.  I have cut the wedges up and frozen a few of those, for lunches for both hubby and Eloise - a great alternative to a sandwich and if needs be a quick dinner for the frills.

It's yummy hot or cold, promise - it might be how you get greens into your kids!  They can help too - grating zucchini pouring ingredients into the bowl..


Ingredients
5 shortcut rashers bacon, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced
5 eggs
1 cup grated tasty cheese
pinch salt
pinch black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
3/4 cup self raising flour
500g zucchini, grated

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a pan over medium heat, add a little oil and fry your bacon and onion.   Continue to fry until the onion becomes transparent.  Turn down the heat and set aside.

Grate your zucchini.  Place in a teatowel or muslin and roll it up and squeeze it over the sink to extract all excess moisture.  Set aside.


In a bowl mix your eggs, flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and cheese.  Mix well.  Add zucchini, bacon and onion and mix until all well combined.


Grease your tray and pour ingredients in, moving mixture to sides and smoothing surface with spoon or spatula.

Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes.   Cool in tin, then transfer onto plate/container.

Can be stored in fridge for up to 5 days, freeze for up to 2 months.
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Sarah @ For the Love of Food on July 20, 2010 at 9:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for the reminder of this one - I haven't made it for a while and my little one really loves it. Nice idea to bake it in cake shape to.

Corrie on July 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhhh I think my guys would love that one as a dinner - wednesday is a killer for me as we're in the door late from ballet and everyone wants dinner NOW

oh and yes with my fritters I do the zucchinis in a teatowel otherwise it is not pretty - wet
wet wet!

thanks for sharing
corrie:)

Seana Smith on October 19, 2010 at 10:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this over the weekend, a veggie version for my husband and he loved it... this is a man who claims to loather zucchini, mind you so a big win! I love this too, so it'll become a new staple. Thanks Liss.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015