Monday, July 5

Throw away the packet - Devilled sausages


When my littlest frills  were babies I found myself trying to survive on very little sleep - my bestie who also had a newborn (but only one!) recommended to me the Continental devilled sausages packet because it was quick and a bit of a set and forget.  Put it in a jug, chop up a few things, throw them on the sausages and into the oven.  Easy.

And I did use this packet, for a few years actually but then I thought: 'Surely this can't be that hard to make yourself' (I was getting about 7 hours of sleep a night by this stage) so gave it a whirl.  Never looked back and sorry Mr Continental, won't be buying that packet again.


Ingredients:
600g beef sausages
2 small onions, cut into rings or slices
1 red apple, peeled and diced
2 tb cornflour
1 tb brown sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tb tomato paste
1 tb dijon mustard
1 cup water
2 tb worcestershire sauce


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
Place your sausages, apple and onion in a baking dish


In a jug mix remaining ingredients.

Pour over sausages
Bake for 20-30 minutes until sausages cooked, the sauce will thicken as it cooks.

Serve with potato mash and greens.

Leftover sausages delicious cold!!  My favourite way to eat sausages!  What's yours?
Print this post in friendly format

16 lovely comments:

Super Sarah on July 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum, I didn't have dijon so I used wholegrain and I think I might have put too little sauce, however they are cooking in the oven as we speak, can't wait!

Super Sarah on July 5, 2010 at 6:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss you are brilliant, this was such a good meal. Both my girls loved the sausages and the apples and my husband loved the thick sauce and the onions. Only thing I should have done is cooked it a little longer but we were too impatient. I served it over rice with peas. I am not sure I am going to let my husband take the leftovers to work tomorrow!!! Seriously, I haven't gone wrong yet with your recipes, quick, easy, cheap and most importantly, delicious!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Frank loves any baked sausages, I'm going to try this!

Unknown on July 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Well that answers the question What's for dinner tonight!

Megan said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I just made this - it was fabulous! I used pork sausages that were flavoured with apple and cider and everyone ate it up!

Now I need some way of bookmarking recipes that I find and rating them so I can remember if we liked it. Any ideas?

Liss on July 6, 2010 at 7:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Megan what I would suggest is getting a stumbleupon account - you stumble a page and you can rate it, and also have your own comments. That way you can amass loads of favourites from blogs and websites :) I have the stumble upon key (the little SU ) on the bottom of each post xx

Brooke on July 20, 2010 at 9:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thank you so much for this. We rarely eat devilled sausages and when we do I use the packet because I didn't have my own recipe. I'll be cooking this tomorrow and filing it in my recipe book for future reference. I love how you can just stick in all in the oven too!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I there! This is a great recipe! ... I've featured & re-printed it in my blog: http://piquantjewellery.blogspot.com/2010/08/yummm.html THANKS! mara x

Anorina @SameliasMum on March 8, 2011 at 6:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sounds delish. I have a packet of sausages in the fridge I was going to grill but think i may try this recipe instead. Thanks for the recipe :-)

River on March 27, 2011 at 6:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've made something similar to this for years. Sausage Hotpot. It takes a little longer but there's no oven baking. Sausages are pre-grilled. I also have a devilled chicken wings recipe. I could email them to you if you'd like.

Mr B on March 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this today. It was divine and super easy to organise. thanks for sharing :-)

Diminishing Lucy on April 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love me a little 1970's delicousness....xx

soundwrite01 said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is divine...i have made this about 6 times now..its easy and the ingredients are always on hand.

Fiona T on June 6, 2011 at 8:04 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for that Liss, I have made sweet and sour from SFI not the jar and it is really nice. I will try this one too and perhaps Continental will notice that I stop buying the packet mix for this family fav.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I keep coming back to this recipe. Thanks Liss

XxSHAExX on April 27, 2016 at 3:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

3rd time I've made this recipe. Even my fussy husband loves it. Definitely a family favourite. Thank you


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015