Tuesday, July 6

10 things as a twin parent I wish I had the guts to say...



I should preface this by saying of course I'm grateful for the wonderful blessings that are my twins, and I do believe that although the intensity of parenting twins has taught me many valuable things and connected me with some wonderful people.... the first years are a struggle to get through at times and on little sleep and little patience people do tend to say and do the most irritating things.  They also do turn up trumps too.

1.    Yes, I'm horrified that I just found out that I'm pregnant with twins.  I need to move house, buy a new car and there goes my work and social life for the next two years at least. I'm scared out of my mind!
2.   Yes, I think it's unreasonable to expect me to climb 4 flights of stairs when I'm 32 weeks pregnant with twins.
3.    No, I didn't have I.V.F,  it was S.E.X. and it's none of your business anyways.
4.   My name is Liss .. not 'Here's the brave/amazing lady who had twins when she had a 1 year old'
5.   Yes, I have my hands full, I didn't know that, want to come to my house at 2am? You don't?  Well SHUT UP!
6.   Oh, you had two kids a year apart?  Thanks for giving me advice because - that is SO exactly the same as twins.  Except it isn't.
7.  No, sorry I don't watch that show, is it on after 8.30 at night or something?
8.  For the record, it's not double trouble, it's double JOY
9.  No they're not identical.(are you blind?)
10.  Yes, I look tired because I AM TIRED.

So whilst I say these in all seriousness, I can look back and laugh now.  Just.
Print this post in friendly format

11 lovely comments:

Melissa on July 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love this post. It's so very true. My sister has twins (now 5) and she used to get #9 all the time... What's worse is she has a boy and a girl! Love #3 on your list too. Why do people need to/want to know anyway??

sharnee on July 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hahah, oh yeah. I can kind of understand why youd get the "identical" question though as they do look very similar. We were convinced that our two were not identical but as they get older I am starting to think they might just be!

PS: you should have the guts to say those things to people.... I do all the time!

Corrie on July 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

that is so funny! oh my the things people say but it's always the same - ivf? you've got your hands full! I always wanted twins! yes I had 2 kids close together in age so I know exactly what it's like - WRONG! it's all the same and now I seem to attract more stares because I have a big belly and 3 piled on the mountain buggy!!!!!!!!!!!

I do laugh though that now at hubby's work his colleague calls him australia's most fertile man because we're having number 4!

but you know what - I love having them all close together, they all play together, they're all gorgeous and they all make me laugh everyday so it's worth it!!!!!! I can't wait though till they're all at school and I can wave bye byes at 9am and pick them up in the afternoon and get some things done!!!!!!!!!!!

Corrie:)

Megs on July 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

As an expectant twin mum with 2 toddlers I'd like to add the following gems:

"are you completely stupid?" why yes, of course, we were aiming for twins, the very thought of 4 under 4 fills me with delight of course!

"glad it's you not me" gee that makes me feel sooooo much better, ta!

Abigail on July 6, 2010 at 8:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love this post. I am Melissa's sister and the mother of 5 year old twins. I used to get the "IVF or natural?" line all the time from strangers but after a while I realised it was always because they knew someone going through IVF so I tried to be coy and smile my way through it!!

Unknown on July 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

When I was young I had friends who were twins. Their mum (who also had 2 older children) told mine that random people would coo over them and say 'I always wanted twins' at a time when she was getting no sleep because they would tag team - she'd settle one and the other would start up. She always wanted to respond with 'then take them!'
I will add that she is actually very close to her daughters...

Sarah on July 7, 2010 at 5:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ha ha - that did make me chuckle. Gorgeous girls you have BTW....

Unknown on July 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ahhhh Brilliant.
My little twin brothers turn 30 this year. I will send this blog to my mother, who I think is still trying to catch up on sleep.

Rosie on July 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I had to laugh, I don't have twins myself but have lots of people who have twins that we are close to. The gem I always laugh at is, "I would love twins that would be so cool, how cute would it be".

Veronica on October 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

rotfl

OMG that is exactly how it goes. As humans are we that predictable?

I just loved it when I was constantly reminded that my boys were crying. This usually occurred when I had sucessfully, for the first time in 12 hours, managed not to hear the constant crying (in my few minutes of escapism in the shopping centre -where the centre noise drowns out any child noise)


I wanted to get t-shirts printed that said on the front "yes I've three under two" "yes they're twins, yes they're boys, yes I'm busy" and on the back "....so buggar off and leave me alone"

Jen W on February 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ten things as an identical twin I wish I had the guts tp say...
1. No I am NOT psychic, are you stupid?
2. I cannot feel her pain, again, believe it or not my nervous system is in no way connected to hers
3. I'm sorry but I'm in no way obliged to explain to you that I am an identical twin just on the off chance that you might bump into my sister and she ignores you, do you honestly expect me to have to introduce myself to every person I meet and say "btw in case I ignore you it's not me but my twin"
4. No I am not Eleanor nor do I feel that I should have to show you my id to prove it, why would I bother playing a practical joke on you, trust me you are not that special.
5. No we are not getting married to identical twins.
6. There is nothing unnatural about cloning, after all I occurred naturally.
7. I am not obliged to become a scientist like my sister because you think that is what twins are supposed to do, I am not here for your amusement.
8.I don't care that you find it weird that I pretended to be my sister and waved at you even though I have no idea who you are, it is much quicker to wave at you than to have to have the whole long "yes I'm a twin, amusing,haha, psychic blah blah conversation"
9. Yes I get asked if I'm a twin a lot
10. No I will not do that with my sister, that is called incest.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015