Monday, July 12

Slowcooker Recipe: Lamb Biryani



 
First time I ever had Biryani I was drunk.  Pretty drunk in fact.  I was returning home from my local, the Surrey Tavern in Wandsworth Common with my then boyfriend and we decided to pop in for a curry on the way home.  I love that about the UK, it's all about curry after a big night out.  Forget the dodgy chicko rolls, the chicken heros and the kebab.  Curry all the way I say.

Anyways, I adored it.  Only problem was, the next day that's all I could remember.  I loved it.  Couldn't remember what I ate - and went back a few nights later to see if I could remember because I wanted it again.  No luck, I tried 3 other dishes before finally a few weeks later having curry elsewhere stumbling upon it - on one of my dining companion's plates.  Luckily she indulged me and we swapped.

So this recipe is a bit spicy.  Not hot-chilli-spicy - more spicy-spicy.  But if I'm honest, I love it like that.  The frills don't which meant they have baked beans when hubby and I have this - c'est la vie.  So if you love biriyani or want to add a bit of spice to you life - give it a try - it's lovely cold too - bring it along to a BBQ!


Ingredients:
500g lamb, diced
150ml sour cream
1 tb garam marsala
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp crushed ginger
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 cup cooked rice
1 tb milk
1/8 tsp imitation saffron
optional - fresh coriander (cilantro) to serve


Method:
Marinade lamb the night before in the fridge
In a bowl combine sour cream, garam marsala, tumeric, chilli powder, garlic and ginger.  Pour over the lamb and toss until all the lamb is covered.  Cover the bowl with clingfilm and put in the fridge.

7 hours prior to serving 
Place the lamb mixture and onions in the slow cooker, place on low setting.


1 hour prior to serving
Sprinkle imitation saffron into milk and add to the slowcooker.
Add cooked rice and stir through.
At serving (optional)
chop 1 stalk coriander roughly and stir through before serving.
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Unknown on September 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I LOVE my slow coooker and I LOVE biiriyani, thank you so much for this easy to follow recipe! Will be trying it out ASAP! xx

www.giraffesandrainbows.com


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015