Sunday, July 18

Sunday Baking Project: The quickie muffins - sugar and dairy free - get CREATIVE!



Now these are terribly basic, but don't let the ingredients fool you - they are not by any means bland or boring.   I made these quickly BEFORE school shortly before the school holidays as I ran out of my pick and mix a little earlier than I expected.  They are truly so simple you'll be trying them and experimenting with your own variations!

Some variations I try instead of currants:

  • Frozen raspberries
  • Cut up pear or apple
  • Mashed banana
Alternatives to honey:
  • Golden syrup
  • Maple syrup

You can also make them with gluten free flour, sometimes I substitute a few tablespoons of bran or crushed wheat-bix for the flour.

So my friends, if you haven't had enough cooking for school lunches/snacks already after yesterday's 30 recipes I gave you - have a go at these!


Ingredients
(makes 20)
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 cup rice milk (use regular if no dairy allergies/intolerances)
1/4 cup currants


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Mix all in in a bowl with electric beaters/mixer mix until smooth (2-3 minutes tops)
Pour into cupcake/muffin papers or greased muffin pan about 3/4 full.

Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden on top and baked through.

Have a lovely Sunday!  Hop over to Facebook  to see my adventures at the Good Food and Wine Show yesterday!  I won something for you'll never guess knowing WHAT...!

and tomorrow is the launch of new competition for the 'little chefs' out there. to celebrate the upcoming 1,000th post!
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Lily Mulholland on July 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a bunch of too-ripe bananas on my bench waiting to be used, so this is perfect timing :)

Question though - I don't think these muffins can be 'dairy free' with milk in them! Unless you use soy in its place, I suppose :D

Liss on July 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Whoops! I knew I missed something late last night! I used rice milk, but you can use regular ;)

Lily Mulholland on July 18, 2010 at 12:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOL! Or rice milk. Or even breast milk! (Not that we have any of that left in this place).

Lily Mulholland on July 18, 2010 at 12:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, am just writing the ingredients out and am about to bake!

PinkPatentMaryJanes on July 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'll be baking these this afternoon. Just cleaned out the freezer and have a few black bananas that could be used to fertilise the rose bushes - or make muffins - muffins win!

Kez on July 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss thank you thank you - I Christen these the Miracle Muffins - NO butter and only 2 WW points each! I made a half batch with frozen berries and maple syrup and it made 7 big'uns.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015