Friday, July 9

What happened when no words came out....


As we stepped into the office, I felt queasy.   I put it down to nerves and probably morning sickness.  I'd never felt so tired and unwell in my life, for so long.  I'd drunk so much water I felt like a human hovercraft.

There we sat our family of three waiting to see if our baby was going to be alright.

Our appointment time had come and gone.  It was doing nothing for our nerves, even hubby was getting nervous and our little 1 year old babe was picking up on it and getting twitchy.  She wanted OUT of her pram.

Finally we were called in.   I got onto the ultrasound table half with dread, half with excitement.   Only 8 months ago we were in this same place, only to find our baby had not formed.  I begged internally for this not to have the same outcome.

Warm gel goes on, Hubby is wrangling with child who wants to be with Mummy.  Probe goes on tummy.

Nothing.  Can't see anything.   My heart drops, I start gulping sadness.

Probe moves down the pelvis.  Two round blobs.  Relief, I remember this, a head and an abdomen.  Phew.

Hang on a minute.  That's not a head and an abdomen.  That's two rib cages coming off two blobs which seems to be two head..which... oh...my....god....!

The oh my god leaps out of my mouth.

The technician says 'did you not know you were having TWINS'.

Hubby who has been distracted by our babe in the pram looks up at the screen.

'labbba-digga-deellee-bwa-WHAT?'

No.  We didn't.  The ultrasound we had three weeks ago where they told us our BABY had a heartbeat was fine.  The same ultrasound we asked them to check for twins specifically because we had a history of twins in the family AND my HCG levels were a bit on the high side AND hell, I was in my 30's.

No we didn't know.
Suddenly the constant tiredness made sense.

Now I felt bad that I banned myself from the fridge, which I had frequented almost as much as the toilet.  I thought I eaten way too much as I could feel the bulge in my tummy already.

Now everything made sense.

That was five years ago today.  Five years ago we became a family of five.

Still feels like yesterday.
Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Maxabella on July 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I can't even imagine what it must be like being told there are TWO in there! I remember my sister's complete shock to discover she was having number 3 and 4 at the same time. But, wow, aren't twins MAGIC!

sharnee on July 9, 2010 at 9:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

:) Oh yeah, it's a pretty funny feeling, isnt it? I wasnt that tired, no idea what HCG levels were/are, no twins in family, no idea at all. Of course I couldn't tell from the image though, they did have to tell me!
It's an awesome feeling to remember.

Corrie on July 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

awwww thanks for sharing that with us!

yep I still remember. I was so sick and so tired but never thought twins. We'd had an ectopic 6 months earlier and i'd lost my tube which was pretty traumatic so I was just praying for a baby not thinking of 2. I was so overjoyed though - other people were freaking out for us but for retro daddy and I it was the best news ever!

I love my twinnies, they're hard work but I love 'em!

Corrie:)

Cathie on July 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

awww, what a great story Liss! i bet those last 5 years have been full of many adventures.

Jaime on July 9, 2010 at 5:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Can it be, I've known you this long Liss? wow. I remember this day.

reality raver on July 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sweet. It must have been daunting, but worthwhile.

this jen day on July 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Liss! What a beautiful memory. I remember the day I was told there were two in there as well! I was in hospital after being so ridiculously sick - I didn't even know I was pregnant, let alone with two! Double blessing isn't it:) But I always think about my mum - she didn't know she had twins until THE SECOND ONE WAS BORN!! Can you believe it? it was the late 70s and routine ultrasounds weren't the done thing. Apparently my dad feinted, and when he came to, all he said was "Well, right, we'll have to get a new pram then". Men!
xxx

Anita on July 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Happy Birthday Bebes!
You lived my dream - I always wanted to have twins, 'though they'd probably kill me! :P
-xxx-


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015