Tuesday, June 15

Hashbrowns a-la-hubby



Hello!

Yesterday was the conclusion of the Sydney Film Festival and whilst I've enjoyed every single second of it - it's nice to settle in and eat at home for the coming week.. I think.  With all this eating on the run I had a hankering yesterday for my hubby's hashbrowns.  He makes really good ones and we treat ourselves occasionally with them for special occasions like birthdays, mother's day etc.  Yesterday I wanted some with some egg for lunch so I asked him for his recipe.  They are crispy on the outside and a bit fluffy on the inside - you only need one - two at most.  Cook the whole mix and freeze any leftovers - reheat in the oven next time you get a hankering...

He plays it by sight but I measured everything so I could get it right...


Ingredients:
600g potatoes, peeled and grated
2 eggs
2 tbsp self raising flour
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
salt and pepper
oil to shallow fry (I used rice bran oil)


Method:
In a bowl, grate potatoes and then squeeze out as much moisture as you can by lifting it against the edge of your bowl and then tipping the bowl to let the moisture out.

Add your eggs, flour, rosemary and salt and pepper, mix well.

Now for my hubby's tricks and tips - heat your oil well over a medium to high heat.  You will know that it is at the best temperature when you flick in one strand of potato and it crisps up immediately upon going into the oil.

Grab a small handful of mix and sit it on a egg flip. Slide it into your oil to avoid spitting.  Shape once it is in the oil, ensuring it's approx 5mm thickness and has not to many stray bits at the sides.

When the edges become golden and crispy (about 3 minutes), edge your egg flip underneath and turn over for a further minute or so.

When cooked, transfer onto a plate covered in paper towel to drain.
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on June 15, 2010 at 6:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum. Lacey loves hash browns {and sshh... so do we}. I can't wait to go through your archives and start printing out recipes for when I'm home more. x

Sharni on June 15, 2010 at 8:45 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi There, I am trying to click on your 'contact me' button but it is not taking me anywhere?? I wanted to chat with you re: your twitter guest post question! Would you mind contacting me via www.sharnanigans.com
love to chat, your recipes are very inspiring and I'd like to take the inspiration to the next level!!! (ie - get me and my readers to perhaps, try them!) hope to hear from you .

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I bet you don't want to leave the house for a while now! :P

Danielle on June 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ohhh thats one of our favourite dishes.....dont know why but growing up it was called Mock Fish. I think my nan used to make them on a Friday instead of the traditional Friday fish.

One of those between two slices of fresh bread with butter = heaven!!

Kylie G on June 15, 2010 at 8:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love hashbrowns! Yet another food that I never even considered making myself. I thought you could only get them at maccas and the frozen food aisle!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015