Wednesday, June 16

Winter Warmer: Hearty Bean and Vege stew - Stove top, Slow cooker, pressure cooker


I don't know whether I've disclosed this - but recently I was given a pressure cooker as an early birthday present.  I'm having fun experimenting with it - it does make super-light work of casseroles and stews, I'm loving it so far...

This recipe I have made in the pressure cooker, but you could make it on the stovetop or with a slow cooker I have noted below the adjustments for each.

This is really hearty vegetarian dish - we served it with crusty bread and it did feel like a big warm hug.    If you really need meat in it I think some sliced kransky sausage would be yummy in there too.


Ingredients:
1 onion, diced
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 stick of celery, diced
2/3 cup dried red lentils
2/3 cup dried green split peas
2/3 cup dried yellow split peas
400g tin four bean mix (including brine)
400g tin diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
2 tb vegetable stock powder
5 cups water

Method:
Pressure cooker:
Put all ingredients in pressure cooker, seal and cook over medium heat and release for 30 minutes.
Serve (how freaking easy is THAT?)

Stove-top
Place some oil in the bottom of your stockpot/pan and fry your onions until they become soft and transparent.
Add potato, carrot and celery and continue to fry until celery softens.
Add rest of ingredients and simmer for 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so


Slow cooker
Add all ingredients to slow cooker - except only 4 cups of water - slow cook on medium for 6 hours.
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

seana smith on June 16, 2010 at 7:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hello Lissa,

This looks like a marvellous recipe and one that would suit my very fussy veggie husband. I've been reading your blog a fair bit and wanted to say a big thanks, lots of great ideas and inspiration which is just what I need. I live fairly close to you in Frenchs Forest with two boys aged 13 and 10 and twin boy/girl aged 4. I'm busy working from home on a new edition of Sydney For Under Fives and on a new book on PND... life is a bit too hectic just now and the cooking suffers!! So inspiration and motivation is really welcome.

Seana Smith

Sharpest Pencil on June 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Printed and stuck in recipe folder faster than you can say red beans green beans.

LOVE the sound of that! Yummy

Thank you


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015