Tuesday, June 8

Slowcooker Recipe: Moroccan Meatballs



Whoah.  Was NOT expecting much from these, and I can't tell you how wrong I was.  I had some turkey mince I'd picked up on sale about a month ago and had intentions to make turkey burgers with them, but somehow, just couldn't get there.   I thought maybe a saucy meatball would be good, so when I saw a recipe for Moroccan Lamb, I thought: hmmmm.

So, you could use any mince - pork, veal, beef, lamb - I reckon it would all taste fabulous.  The sauce and the flavours are the stars of this dish and kids will eat them, mine asked for seconds!  The slow cooking makes the meatballs almost melty-in-the-mouthy devine-ness.

I made quite a lot (luckily) with the view of having some leftovers for this week - I'm out 5 nights out of seven.  Yes, I know. It's a lot!  Sydney Film Festival is keeping me busy and I'm loving that!   So.. divide in half if you like - but if you like leftovers like me, stay with the same quantities.

Or if you have three gluttonous children, you'll have enough, plus one lunch for your hubby/partner/you to take to work or have the next day.

Ingredients
1 kg turkey (or whatever you like) mince
4 pieces bread
2 eggs
2 red onions
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli flakes/powder
500ml chicken stock
2 tb plain flour
2 tsp fresh coriander, finely chopped


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

In a food processor, place your 1 chopped onion and all  the bread.  Pulse until wet breadcrumbs.  Add mince, eggs, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika.  Pulse until well combined.

Roll into balls and place on a greased baking tray.

Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Whilst the meatballs are baking finely chop remaining onion and place in the bottom of your slowcooker.  Add remaining 1tsp or cumin and paprika, add the chilli and flour, and pour chicken stock over and stir well.  Turn the slowcooker on auto whilst you wait for the meatballs to cook.

When cooked, transfer meatballs to the slow cooker, stir and spoon mixture over top of meatballs.  Place lid on the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.  Occasionally, baste the meatballs by spooning liquid over the top of them.

Lastly, before serving, sprinkle with finely chopped coriander and stir through

Serve with rice, mash or veges of your choice.
Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Katy on June 8, 2010 at 9:15 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh this looks good Liss!! I have such a problem with getting my meatballs to keep their shape. Can't wait to give this one a go.

Fiona said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohh they look nice :) Do you think they woudl work with other mince as its hard to get turkey over here :)

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, yum!

Liss on June 8, 2010 at 11:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Fiona I think they would work brilliantly with lamb, beef or veal too :)

Bel on June 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG.. sounds TO DIE FOR.

PinkPatentMaryJanes on June 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight? And for tomorrow night it's your slow-cooker not-butter chicken. Thank you!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

And no frying of meatballs too! Sounds fabulously easy! :D

Red Dirt Mummy on June 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look fantastic. I think they'll do very nicely for swimming lessons night - onto next week's menu plan they go! Thanks :)

Lauren on June 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh, I was actually going to make some sort of turkey meatballs on Thursday, but I was going to muddle through adapting a sauce from another cookbook as I wasn't completely sold on the recipe I'd found. I'm scrapping my original idea - this sounds a lot yummier. And extras for hubby for work always go down a treat!

Yvette Bowyer @DTLilSquirts on May 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum so simple and looks delish!!

boxsey on May 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

what would happen if i chucked raw meatballs in the slow cooker and skipped the oven altogether? If it's not crucial...i want to skip it!

Unknown on August 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Did these tonight with Lamb - sorry they were terrible, not much flavour (and I added more spice than you said) and sort of rubbery :-( most of your other stuff is really yum


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015