Monday, June 28

The busy woman's cannelloni - cheaty, cheaty, CHEATY.


Now, you know I'm not a fan of the packet mix, but I do understand there are times where you may be short of time and enthusiasm and you'll be tossing up: 'Packet meal or take-away'?

So I got to thinking about it the other day - something easy with a few ingredients - but you can still be creative.

I came up with this.  If you make your own pasta, it doesn't take much longer to make it - but not everyone does so I thought I'd road-test the pre-fab type (I'd never had it before this point!).  You could also pre-make them and put them in the fridge overnight and through the next day and pop into the oven when you get home/at prescribed time.

If you don't like italian sausage - substitute with any sausage that you love - even soy ones!

Now my friends, I made two at a time, because this is how I roll.  I like to have a stash of food for another lazy or busy day - feel free to cut the ingredients in half..


Ingredients:
1 packet Latina lasagne sheets (easier to shape up than the cannelloni ones I reckon)
700 g italian sausages
150 g ricotta cheese
250 g tasty cheese
2 x 500g jars pasta sauce
200 ml water

Pre-made bechamel sauce OR
40g butter
1/4 cup plain flour
400 ml milk


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
Mix your pasta sauce with the water, spoon about 1/5th of it on the bottom of your baking dish and set aside.
Flatten out lasagne sheet and spread ricotta on with a knife

Sprinkle a small handful of tasty cheese over it (or get the kids to)

Skin your sausages by 'gutting them' - edge tip of your knife under the skin at one end, the knife blade facing upwards, continue along to the end, and then peel back the skin.  Place in a row along the centre of the lasagne sheet.

Roll up lasagne sheet around the sausage.  Cut into lengths to fit your casserole dish.  Continue until done.




Pour the rest of your pasta sauce over the top and then top with your bechamel* and remainder of your cheese.

Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes.

*to make your own bechamel, melt your butter in a saucepan over medium heat and have a metal whisk and milk on standby.
Add flour and a little milk and whisk until it thickens, keep adding milk and whisking whilst it thickens and so on until all milk is in the pan.

So my friends, if you're feeling you've got a bit of 'Monday-itis' happening - this could be your saviour!

See you this afternoon with news about our giveaway!
Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

Jade on June 28, 2010 at 7:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks awesome. I'm going to favourite for dinner this week!

Corrie on June 28, 2010 at 7:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum looks really good and definitely buying the ingredients for this week - tonight I just need vegetables after a weekend of fries and takeaway but this will definitely be popular with the little people of the house.
Corrie:)

Diminishing Lucy on June 28, 2010 at 7:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is one of my cheats too. The Latina pasta is not bad when smothered! I don't use Italain sausage, but usually ragu (from my stash in the freezer.)

Unknown on June 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

looks great. i bet the veggie version would be fab as well. xo m.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have been known to use pasta sauce, as long as it's a good one I don't mind! This looks fabulously cheesey and tomatoey and I like the use of sausages!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks delish - and nice and easy, just the way I like it.

Natalie on June 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

that looks so yum liss!

I too use jar pasta sauce. Always check all the numbers on the back (emily is sensitive) but then i discovered organic tomato pasta sauce... no numbers and wasnt that much more expensive!

Christie - Childhood 101 on June 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You are the master! What a fantastic cannelloni hack :)

Lily Mulholland on July 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Found you via Corrie :) Will definitely give this one a try!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015