Tuesday, June 22

Crepes with special, special filling



My mum used to make these when I lived at home and they were a rare, but special treat.  I hadn't made them in my house until last weekend and they were gobbled up with much appreciation!

If you don't want to use the filling - use your favourite - lemon and sugar, nutella or perhaps your favourite liqueur and icecream.  If you have a savoury tooth - try some cheese and chives with sour cream.


Crepes - makes 5
50g butter, plus extra for frypan
100g plain flour
1 egg + 1 egg yolk extra
350ml milk


Filling:
100ml cream
100ml cream cheese
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3 tb currants


Method:
Whip your cream until it reaches soft peaks.  Add softened cream cheese, vanilla and caster sugar.  Continue to whip until well combined.   Lastly, stir through the currants.  Set aside.

To make the crepes - put the flour into a large jug.  Make a well in the centre and add egg + egg yolk and 100ml of milk, stir well and eliminate any lumps with a whisk or a stick mixer.  Add the rest of the milk gradually.

Heat your frypan on a medium-high heat and add 20g of butter, melt well and when the pan is bubbling, add your batter and hold up your pan and spread it over evenly.  (If it doesn't spread, you may not have added enough batter or your pan might be too hot)  


You can tell your crepes are ready to flip when the centre of the crepe loses it's 'shine' - about 1.5-2 minutes, cook for a further 1 minutes on the 2nd side then remove from pan.

Place 2 tb of the filling in the centre, and fold, dust with icing sugar... try and stop at one...

Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Kylie G on June 22, 2010 at 8:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh my! I love the sound of that filling

Nisha on June 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I ate a lifetimes worth of Nutella crepes when we were in Paris! Still cant get enough of them.

I also make a chicken and mushroom crepe with a creamy white wine sauce- delish!

Jorth on June 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooooh, yum! I'm about to do my monthly menu plan... I think I will definitely have to include some crepes now!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmm I adore crepes and these look fantastic. I usually have lemon and sugar but I do like the sound of these! :)

Fig and Cherry on June 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh, my Hungarian grandma (Nagy Mama) makes a similar filling! Yum Yum.

Corrie on July 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhhhhhhhhh man they look so good! too good! I have everything too......might do them tmrw night!

corrie:)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015